Michelle Obama’s Legacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

With the 2016 Presidential Election getting closer by the day it’s hard to believe that, in less than a month, the Obamas will not be White House regulars. President Obama has, throughout his 8-year term, shaped the country in the way he saw fit, and so did his wife, First Lady Michelle Obama.

The minute Michelle Obama stepped into the White House, she exuded a raw desire to improve the lives of children not only in the United States, but around the world. Honestly speaking, Michelle Obama is someone who I admire dearly, because despite the struggles she faced as a young adult trying to make a place for herself in the world, she has used those difficult times as mere preparation for battling problems on local, state, and global levels. Here is a look back at some of Michelle’s accomplishments as First Lady of the United States.

Let’s Move

To end the epidemic of childhood obesity, Michelle started this organization by working together with physicians, nurses, teachers, parents, and even children to adopt healthy lifestyles. Not only does “Let’s Move” focus on motivating children to exercise, but this organization also aims to educate and even provide healthy food items across the country.

White House Garden

Installed 2009 in the South Lawn of the White House, the White House Garden epitomizes Michelle Obama’s mission of healthy eating. The produce from this garden has fed world leaders, White House staffers, and has been featured on numerous television shows such as TODAY. In fact, Michelle Obama has once again popularized the garden, as many urban areas are allocating specific spaces for individuals to grow and pick their own fruits, vegetables, and flowers.

Let Girls Learn

Michelle Obama began this initiative in order to fight for education inequality for girls around the world. With the release of the documentary “We Will Rise” on CNN, Michelle Obama welcomed audiences to meet brave girls in both Liberia and Morocco who literally have to risk their lives and fight for a chance to be educated.  

My Plate and MiPlato

Michelle Obama developed these two apps as she wanted an interactive approach to educate families about healthy portion sizes. The app and website also offer meal suggestions based on food that is locally grown in each state, depending on the time of year. Essentially, this program is vital to Michelle Obama’s primary cause of healthy eating.

A Sophomore Biology major at The College of New Jersey, who has an affinity for fashion, beauty, pop culture, and anything with humor!
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.