Michael McLaughlin ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Welcome back, collegiettes!  For our first cutie of the year, we have a very special someone.  Meet Michael, an intelligent coffee-drinking, scenery-savoring, goal-oriented vegitarian who loves to learn.  (Swoon!)  This cutie plans to pursue a career in academia and looks forward to the opprtunity to potentially continue his education in Australia!

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Millstone Township, New Jersey

Age/year: 20, Junior

Major: Psychology

Campus Organizations: Social Change and Collective Identity Research Lab, Psi Chi International Honor Society, Psychology Club, Intramural Volleyball

Post grad plans: I plan on attending graduate school to pursue a phD in Social Psychology. Although I don’t necessarily know where I am going yet, as my application process for graduate programs will begin during the first semester of my senior year, a lot of brilliant minds in the social psychology world are affiliated with the University of Queensland, Australia – and it would be a dream come true to be able to continue my studies there.

Dream job: It has always been a dream of mine to become a professor in the field of psychology. Ideally, I would love to teach at a large university, but I wouldn’t be totally opposed to teaching at a smaller college like TCNJ.

Favorite place you’ve ever traveled: I’m not sure if this technically qualifies as ‘traveling’, but a couple minutes away from my house is Monmouth Battlefield State Park, which as one could guess is the historical site of the battle of Monmouth. If you wander far enough off of the premises of the park, you reach beautiful rolling hills that lead into an apple orchard. During the summer months, there is nothing that quite compares to the beauty of the scenery.

The number one thing on your bucket list: I would love to be able to see all of Africa. I hear that the great migration of the Serengeti National Park is something of sheer magnificence.

Favorite band/musician: Blink 182

Fun fact: I’m a vegetarian!

Role model: Through the good and the bad, my father has always been my role model. It has always been one of my goals in life to one day be able to fit into my father’s shoes.

Biggest turn on: Intelligence and light-heartedness

Biggest turn off: Self-centeredness

Celebrity Crush: Eva Green

Ideal first date: Lots of coffee and Fight Club

Words to live by: In his first book of Epistles, the Greek poet Horace writes about “Sapere aude”, which translates to ‘dare to be wise’ or more generally, ‘dare to know’.

Favorite food: The dried out corner of lasagna

Hobbies: I’m a big fan of reading, watching MMA and playing N64.

Funny quirks: If you don’t eat your pizza crust fast enough, it’s all mine.

Best advice you’ve ever been given: If you’re not making someone else’s life better, then you are wasting your time.