Meet Tyler Law and Kevin Walsh Jr.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

To know Tyler Law and Kevin Walsh Jr. is to love them. After being in their presence for all of five minutes, it is clearly evident that these two TCNJ juniors are best friends because they speak their own language, constantly reference inside jokes, and can seemingly communicate without even speaking. When you live with them, these qualities are turned up one thousand percent — you realize that they actually share the same creative mind. Not to mention living space, classes, extracurriculars, major, interests, and life goals.

Here’s everything you need to know about the dynamic duo.

1. How did you meet?

KW:  It was actually pretty funny because one of our first real interactions with each other was when we acted together in a comedy sketch towards the end of freshman year, and in that sketch, I was obsessive over my Tinder matches, so I showed up to my first Tinder date only to find out that I had been cat-fished by Tyler.  For whatever reason, my character in the sketch just sorta played along with it, so the scene that followed was Tyler and I chilling in his bed, while he chewed on a candy cigarette, and I lightly strummed a guitar. It was definitely an interesting first experience to have with Tyler.

TL: Kevin and I met freshman year through LTV. We were both just new members at the time with a passion for making videos, but it wasn’t until the ending of the year that we really started to connect with each other through LTV’s comedy show, Kendallarious.

2. What do you do on campus?

TL: Kevin and I are both involved in LTV. He’s the station manager, and I’m the technical director. We’re also both employed by the school’s office of Communications, Marketing, and Brand Management where we work on producing videos for the school’s social media pages. If there’s a big event on campus, chances are you’ll see Kevin and me lurking in the back with our cameras.  

3. What’s your favorite part about working together?

TL: My favorite part about working together is that we are pretty much the same person. Sure, we both have our own strengths that complement each other’s weaknesses, but on the surface, we are pretty much on the same wavelength mentally speaking. Sometimes Kevin understands what I want more than I understand what I want. We rarely ever butt heads while making decisions, and if we do, it isn’t hard for us to talk things out and come to a mutual decision.

KW: Another great part about working together is getting to work alongside one of my best friends.  As corny as that sounds, it really does make some of the projects that would normally be annoying and tedious into a genuine fun time.

4. What’s your favorite part about living together?

TL: Everyday is a slumber party. I didn’t get too many of those when I was younger, so I’m happy that I can make up for the lost time.

KW: The best part about living together is that it makes it a lot easier to get work done.  I know, you would think that the opposite would be true about living with friends because of the obvious distraction factor, but really for us, we’re both very good about holding each other accountable for our work, especially since many of the video projects we work on are a joint effort.  When we come home from a busy day of class or shoots, our collective mindset isn’t “Finally home, the day is done,” it’s “What project are we gonna work on until 2am tonight?” Another cool thing about living together is that we have a lot of the same favorite foods, so there’s never really a dispute over what to stock the freezer with or what to keep in the pantry.

5. What are your career aspirations?

TL: Kevin and I are gonna start an empire. We aren’t sure what kind of empire, but it’s gonna be great; we’re gonna make videos, and we’re gonna become rich and famous.

KW: Yeah what he said, and also keep your eyes peeled for when we produce a Netflix series together because whenever that happens, we can assure you it’s going to be a great show.

6. What inspired you to get into film?

TL: Personally, I’ve always loved movies. Growing up I watched a lot of TV and played a lot of video games, and I was always so interested in telling stories through different mediums. I always thought it was interesting how something so small like a song or short film could make people feel such strong emotions, whether they’re laughing or crying. But it wasn’t until I started obsessively watching YouTube that I realized, ‘Hey, I can do that too.’ So, when I was younger, I actually spent a lot of my time making animated music videos with random songs and like clips from Naruto. I learned how to basically edit from my brother, and after that, I was off to the races, and I’ve been making movies since.

KW: For me personally, it all started with a movie that I made with my friends from home called Silent Summer.  We all met up one day over the summer after sophomore year of high school, and we shot a whole movie from start to finish in one day on my friend Mark’s Mini DV camcorder.  Since we had no knowledge of editing at the time, we shot the whole movie in chronological order, and then plugged the camera into Mark’s TV at the end of the night at our red-carpet premiere and watched our “finished” film the same day we shot it.  I remember that day very vividly as one of the most fun days I’ve ever had, and that’s what sparked my interest to get more into video production. Ever since then, I’ve tried to learn something new with every video I produce, and I’m lucky to have met someone like Tyler to help me learn along the way.

As you can tell, these two guys have each other’s backs no matter what. There is no doubt in my mind that one day these two will be running the film industry, winning awards, and taking over the world.

Olivia Grasing is a journalism student who aspires to work in the fashion/lifestyle industry.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.