Career

Meet HCTCNJ’s Current Social Media Director- Darby VanDeVeen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Darby is someone that once you meet her for the first time, you begin to notice that she is actually everywhere, whether that is in person or simply in name. I say this because after I met Darby in our intro to media communication class, I started to notice her everywhere else, because well, she does a little bit of everything. 

Let me introduce her. 

Darby is a senior Marketing major with a minor in Communications. She’s part of the Varsity Swim Team and she works in the athletic department at TCNJ, she’s a photo editor for the student-run newspaper The Signal, she’s CUB’s Live Event Coordinator, she’s a member of Omicron Delta Kappa and last but certainly not least, she’s HCTNCJ’s very own Social Media Director. 

So yes, she’s everywhere! And I had the opportunity to ask Darby a couple of questions about her time at TCNJ and life this past year!

How has it been taking classes online instead of being in a classroom setting?

“It’s definitely been a challenge switching to a virtual classroom instead of being in person. I’ve found myself being on my phone more and multitasking when I’m supposed to be paying attention (sorry to all my professors!), but I do like the extra time I have now that I don’t have to walk to campus/my classes. The biggest thing I learned though is that just because it’s online doesn’t mean it’s any easier. A lot of my classes were more difficult due to smaller assignments and the expectation that we would devote the extra time we had to schoolwork.”

What is a new skill you’ve acquired in the past year? 

“During the pandemic, I took two weeks and taught myself how to juggle! I got really good with three tennis balls and am trying to add in a fourth. I also started a blog this past summer so I’ve been teaching myself a little bit about website design, and how to consistently produce quality and engaging content. If you want, you can check it out at thebeatcritiques.com.” 

What’s your favorite memory you’ve had at TCNJ so far? 

“Oh wow, this one is so hard because there are so many. From nights in the dorms with my friends to taking a full day to build (and takedown) a stage for fall and spring concerts, there’s a lot of moments that come to mind. But I think my favorite right now has been helping to plan Funival my sophomore year! I worked with the Director and Financial Director of CUB to rent inflatables and book performers for the carnival. It was amazing how much responsibility we all had in making sure that the event happened and ran smoothly. Getting to see everyone happy and having fun knowing how much work went into it made going to the event that much better.” 

What’s something you hope to accomplish by the end of college? 

“My biggest goal is just to get an internship or job after leaving. But on a more personal note, I hope to leave the campus community just a little bit better than I found it by participating in as many clubs and opportunities that I can before I leave!”

If you could give advice to your freshman-year self, what would it be? 

“Don’t worry so much about what people think of you! Go out and try to find a club or two that interests you as well. I didn’t start getting involved on campus outside of athletics until my sophomore year and I regret that I didn’t have another year to get closer with the people I know now. Also, reach out to more people and make connections – you’d be surprised how many people are willing to help you when you just ask.” 

If you are interested in seeing some of Darby’s work on her website, here are some of her most recent articles!

Sound Bites: Michael It’z, Dani Kristina, The Arcade, Periplo

JEN Z claps back at haters with new single, “Falling to Your Knees”

A writer who's always in a crisis and probably eating fries.