Culture > News

Malibu Wine Safaris Leave Animals During California Wildfires

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Malibu Wine Safaris, located on a 1,000 acre Saddlerock Ranch and vineyard in Malibu, California, is a celebrity favorite – Khloe Kardashian even filmed an episode of “Keeping Up With The Kardashians,” with the famous Stanley the giraffe. The safari is home to zebras, camels, bison, alpacas, and giraffes alike.   

But, on November 9th, wildfires broke out across southern California, destroying homes and taking 42 lives (and counting). Malibu Wine Safaris was directly in the path of the Woolsey fire, which has destroyed nearly 91,000 acres of land.

Malibu Wine Safaris took to their instagram to say “our amazing animal care facilities team began preparing for evacuations late last night.” Many animal rights activists were concerned about the well being of the animals after Malibu Wine Safaris didn’t provide another update.

Image Source

Rumors went viral on Twitter, as the doubtful claimed Malibu Wine never actually evacuated the animals from their unsafe enclosures. This caught the attention of many famous celebrities such as Ariel Winters, Lance Bass, Khloe Kardashian, and Whitney Cummings

.

Whitney Cummings, famous comedian, took it upon herself to visit the burnt down Malibu Wine Safaris and was enraged at what she found. She claimed that there were burn marks on the fences around the animals, showing how close the animals were from burning in the fire. She posted on Instagram to show how unsafe the animals were and criticized them for not having an evacuation plan.

Image Source

Image Source

The animals are now currently safe, according to Cummings’ Instagram post where she is seen helping clean ash off a horse. But, she took to Twitter to respond to a video posted by owner of Malibu Wine Safaris, which claimed that no animals were harmed. In her tweet, she stated “Animals died at Malibu Safari. He admitted it in this video but the Insta feed says no animals were harmed. How did they die if you did indeed let them free to a safe place?”

Image Source

The owners of Malibu Wine Safaris lost their beautiful vineyard, ranch, and home. Although this is devastating for their family, they should take responsibility for the harm that came to these animals and should have a better evacuation plan set in place.

President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.