Making NCAA History: Danica Roskos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For those of you who have been on the College’s website anytime in the last few weeks, chances are you’ve seen this week’s Campus Celeb, Danica Roskos.  The senior diver from Pennington, New Jersey, is featured on the homepage for placing first in the nation in the NCAA Division III 1-meter diving competition.  Because this is not the first time Roskos has earned the first place title for the 1-meter dive, but the third, she made NCAA Division III history as the first female diver to obtain three consecutive national titles in the same event.

These three titles, in addition to the one she captured in 2011 for the 3-meter event, make her one of only two divers who have won four national championship titles.  It’s safe to say this is one talented collegiette.

After winning the 1-meter title the last two years, Roskos felt “better prepared mentally” for this year’s competition, which took place in Shenandoah, Texas. 

“[Last year] I put a lot of pressure on myself to do as well as I did my sophomore year.  However, I learned from that experience and knew that I just had to take the meet one dive at a time,” she said. 

Roskos has been diving for about nine years, after switching from gymnastics.  She says her father encouraged her to get into the sport because she kept getting injured in gymnastics.  She did not fall in love with diving right away, though, and even returned to gymnastics for a while.

The marketing major and English minor has found balancing diving with academics to be challenging at times, but she has found both her coach and professors to be extremely accommodating and supportive.

“I have been successful in and out of the pool because of TCNJ,” said Roskos, “When I won nationals this year, I received emails from the President of TCNJ, the Athletic Director and several of my professors (even professors from previous semesters!).  I really do not know any other school that reaches out to its students like that!”

She also merits her coach and her parents for helping her get to where she is today and for the valuable life lessons they have taught her. 

“They have taught me to work hard, enjoy myself, and most importantly, how to win and lose gracefully,” said Roskos. 

Among the divers that she looks up to are fellow teammate, junior Sabrina Lucchesi, and Laura Wilkinson, who won the 10-meter platform in the 2000 summer Olympics.  Wilkinson also happened to give the welcoming speech to all of the athletes at the NCAA competition. 

Since she is a senior, this will be Roskos’ last diving competition, although she hopes to someday coach the sport.

“I really just feel lucky to have been able to end my diving career on such a high note,” she said.