A Letter of Encouragement to High School Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Dear High School Classes of 2020,

As you approach your final year in your hometown high school, cherish every moment possible. The fights with your friends, the feeling of passing an exam without studying, and most importantly, the hugs from your family. This is the last year that you will be considered a “kid” and the reality of being an adult will hit you extremely quickly.  

Let me be the first to say that you do not have to go to college to be successful in this lifetime. Forge your own path and follow your true passion, whether that includes higher education or not. If you choose to continue along the path of college, be prepared to work hard and fully dedicate yourself to the school you are attending. Your experiences in college will reflect how submerged you are into campus culture and academics. You may not know where you would like to attend or what you would like to study, but you will be fine. No matter where you end up, you will find your niche and you will surpass the expectations that have been placed upon you.

Friendships will go and change after this year. It does not mean you never cared for the person, however, you will find your closest pals slowly drifting into the arms of a new crowd. Those you stay friends with after high school will most likely be there for a lifetime. Similar to friends, significant others of high school could slowly fade away. People change and it is okay to let go of relationships to better yourself physically and emotionally. Don’t dwell on the past, instead focus on those that are present in your life and give them the utmost attention.

When you think your world is crashing down during midterms or finals of your senior year, just remember that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. There are always amazing opportunities surrounding you and every step you take could further those opportunities.

Sincerely,

A Former Senior

P.S. Don’t let senioritis get the best of you!

Emily is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She is double majoring in Elementary Special Education and English.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.