Wellness

Let’s Talk About It: The Normalization of Acne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Living in a world that promotes perfection, makes it hard for something so “imperfect” to be considered “the norm.” Millions of people struggle with their acne, making it such a normal experience, especially through one’s teenage years. If this is such a normal experience, then why is it continuously avoided in conversation, or heavily belittled? Coming from someone who has personally struggled with acne for years, I am here to confront society’s continuous hate for it, since it doesn’t fit their ‘mold’ of perfection. 

As I stated before, I have struggled, and am still struggling, with taming my acne. Now being a 20 year-old woman, I have gotten to know my skin, been able to craft my own routines, and learned various techniques. Although I’ve learned a great deal about my skin, I still look back at the little sixth grader struggling with not only her acne, but her self confidence because of it. I have come to terms with not blaming the people with perfect skin around me, but rather society’s consistent narrative of perfectionism. 

This narrative is most prevalent in pop culture and the media. Majority of advertisements are very keen on including models caked in makeup, and even photoshopped afterwards, to pretend their pores don’t exist. The irony of skin care advertisements, including models with makeup washing their face with overpriced products, is almost laughable. Media like this is so detrimental for young teenagers experiencing acne, as they are made to believe these scams.

Before getting to know my skin, I fell victim to these scams many times. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on premium products that ultimately made me break out even more. If you have sensitive skin like me, it was life-changing to be told by my dermatologist that expensive products don’t always mean amazing results. Switching to cheaper products that are made with no extravagant fragrances or microbeads was the best thing I could have done for my skin. 

For those wondering about the specific routine I have developed, I mainly use all the same brand products, but also incorporate learning to love my skin and building my confidence. Here’s a list of the products I use and what their purposes are! Disclaimer: These are the products that work for my skin, but may not be suited for everyone’s skin. 

Morning Routine:

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/cleansers/hydrating-cream-to-foam-cleanser : I wash my face to get all of the bacteria off from the night and just to feel refreshed in the morning.

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/moisturizers/skin-renewing-day-cream : I follow washing my face with a SPF based motrisuzer to not only wake up my skin, but also protect my skin throughout the day.

Night Time Routine:

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/cleansers/hydrating-cream-to-foam-cleanser : Similar to my morning routine, I start off my night routine with washing my face with the same cleanser. I let my skin breathe for about 3-5 minutes before continuing on with my routine.  

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/serums/resurfacing-retinol-serum : This serum helps with acne scars and discoloration. I apply a thin layer and wait 3-5 minutes before applying a moisturizer.

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/moisturizers/pm-facial-moisturizing-lotion : After waiting for the serum to dry, I apply a layer of this moisturizer to help soothe my skin before bed.

Using these effective products not only makes a good night time routine, but the skin care process also reminds me to take time for myself and loving my skin. Allotting a moment for yourself during the morning and evening is a great way to make a mental checklist for your day, or organize your thoughts at the end of your day. Aside from the technicalities of mapping out or reflecting on your day, it is also a great way to take time to build your confidence. Repeating positive affirmations or complimenting yourself while looking in a mirror are great ways to assist in the process of learning self love. 

Acne is something everyone experiences at one point in their life. Whether it be a one time breakout or years of trying to hide those blemishes, the experience is still not normalized enough, despite millions of people going through it. Acne is just another topic to add on to the list of society’s harmful narratives put in place to make people feel inferior.

Ultimately, I’ve come to the conclusion that my struggles with acne do not affect huge skin care corporations or celebrities photoshopping their skin. Instead of expressing hate towards these companies, I feel sorry that people have convinced themselves that the way our skin looks is not already naturally “perfect.” I encourage you not to get sucked into society’s perfectionist narrative and learn to love your skin through all the acne blemishes, breakouts, and clear skin days.

Lyndsey is a junior Psychology and Elementary Education major. She is passionate about confronting societal norms, but also enjoys recommending Harry Styles songs to people who have never heard them.