Lessons I Learned from the Influential Women in My Life – Celebrating International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

International Women’s Day was first established on March 8, 1909 when 15,000 women marched through New York City for fair pay wages, labor standards and the right to vote. Today, we honor the women who came before us and the women of today with International Women’s Day, and should every day, really.

This year, International Women’s Day is embracing equality through their campaign theme, #BalanceforBetter, which calls us to build a gender-balanced world and embrace the idea that everyone has an equally important part to play.The women of yesterday paved the way for our successes today and certainly passed along some powerful words of wisdom throughout the years. Here are just some of the amazing, unbreakable women in my life who shaped me into who I am, and bits of insight I’ve picked up from them along the way.

My Mom

When the sky is grey, she shines light on me, always. No matter how tangled my mind is getting, she reminds me to keep calm and push on. She always says, “everything happens for a reason,” and I’ve adopted this as I walk through life.

My Sister

My sister is so young and already so strong and mature. She can handle any amount of stress thrown her way and reminds me to stay grounded through anything. I can laugh through life with her, and I am so grateful.

My Girl Gang

I was blessed to be adopted by this incredible group of women when I was a little freshman. They’re all graduating this year and leaving me, which is so unfair! But these ladies teach me kindness, patience, dedication, and loyalty each day, and I couldn’t have gone through college without them.

The TCNJ Treblemakers

Never have I been a part of such a strong group of women as the Trebs. These ladies inspire me to put passion into everything I do and strive to reach perfection, as we do with all of our performances. The women of this group are so diverse and unique, I’ve learned so much from them and will continue to be a better woman because of that.

The Ladies of Her Campus TCNJ

Dedicated, passionate and so talented, these ladies are all destined for amazing things and have truly taught me so much about how to be a great leader, editor and woman in communications. I will forever be grateful for this supportive organization of females and all the opportunities it presents to me every day!

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.