Lady Gaga Tackles Issues Of Sexual Assault In Her Latest Music Video, “Till It Happens to You”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In the newest music video released by Lady Gaga on September 17th, a serious message is brought up about the emotional effects and problems with the amount of sexual assault occurring on college campuses every day. With some experience of her own, Lady Gaga is able to connect to victims of this matter and send a message of hope and love while bringing it to the attention of almost 16 million viewers.

The song, composed by Diane Warren, starts off explaining how she cannot be comforted by those who haven’t experienced what she has experienced because they can’t understand what she is going through. She mentions her world crashing and burning and says she doesn’t want to hear a word from people who haven’t been through it themselves because they won’t know how bad it really is until it happens to them. This song will be used in an upcoming documentary about rape and sexual assault on college campuses called The Hunting Ground.

At the end of the music video, a few jarring facts are presented. It is mentioned that one in five women are sexually assaulted every year. She lists a sexual assault hotline to call for help and lists ways for people to share their experience and get involved in making a change.

You can check out the music video here.

Learn more about The Hunting Ground here.

Freshman Communications Major from Moorestown, NJ
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.