Style

It’s Time! Everything You Need to Know About the Met Gala 2020 Theme

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Every first Monday in May, the world’s most elite artists, socialites, and celebrities attend the Met Gala to raise money for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City. Each gala has a specific fashion centered theme and its attendees dress accordingly. In November, the 2020 Met Gala theme was announced and it is titled “About Time: Fashion and Duration”. 

So what exactly does the theme mean? Time travel? Decades? All of the above? 

The theme for the gala is derived from the motifs of Virginia Woolf novels, as well as French Philosopher Henri Bergson’s theories on time. A dosage of  subjective and objective time will blend together to create the theme and looks of the event. Costume Institute Director Andrew Bolton stated that “Fashion is indelibly connected to time” and fashion pieces from the past 150 years will be put on display in the exhibit, tracing back to the year 1870. 

We can expect attendees to be dressed from anything involving an actual clock, to timeless pieces, to ensembles geared towards specific decades. With the fast paced society we live in today, the 2020 Met Gala is sure to remind everyone to appreciate time and its contributions to fashion. 

My name is Cecelia Jost and I am a sophomore at TCNJ. I major in marketing and plan on minoring in communications. I love beauty, fashion, and writing and am super interested in magazines and editorials.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.