International Moment of Laughter Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Image Source

As college students and as individuals living in the 21st century, our lives are very fast-paced. Everything is instantaneous; we want instant gratification and this mentality often makes us stressed when something doesn’t go our way. When we’re stressed, we become serious and when we grow too serious, we forget to laugh.

I’m writing this article because April 14th is International Moment of Laughter Day and this holiday deserves special recognition. With so much uncertainty in the world, we’re all worried about the possibility that something could go wrong. Often times, we forget to simply smile every once in a while and ignore all the bad things that might happen.

Even if you’re feeling down in the dumps, because of something bad that happened, I promise you that there’s always something to smile and laugh about.

It can be one of the hardest things to do sometimes: smiling when you feel like your world is falling apart, and I think that’s why this holiday is so important. Don’t let the world shatter your smile and always remember to laugh at your mistakes. Go out with friends and laugh at a joke that isn’t even funny or laugh at something that’s hilarious even if you’re not supposed to. Never forget to smile at the stranger walking down the street, you could be making their day!

On this day and every day from here on out, laugh at something. Smiling even just for a moment can improve your whole day, even if everything else has gone sour. It’s no surprise that laughing is good for your health and I know that there’s something out there that will make you laugh, whether it’s a silly YouTube video, a TV show, or something that your friend has said, I challenge you to do it. Just do it. Just laugh!

Cover Image Source

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.