This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Every girl deserves the right to an education and a life that does not limit her in all her endeavors.

October 11 is celebrated as The International Day of the Girl. This is a movement to improve the lives of girls by allowing them to express themselves and be the true leaders that they are. The International Day of the Girl focuses on addressing the challenges girls face in regards to gender equality and education.

Every year on this date, the United Nation holds a conference in which girls from all over speak about issues pertaining to forced early marriages, environmental issues, poverty, sexism, sexual assault, and much more. Several of our wonderful women from TCNJ’s Women in Learning and Leadership (WILL) had the opportunity to attend and be a part of the discussion. Brianna Dioses, a junior at TCNJ stated, “It seems like there’s so much to be done and so much to change and that it’s almost unattainable, but this conference left you with feeling like anything can happen. Girls can take over the United Nations, and you should always keep dreaming even if it breaks your heart.” She was not alone in her thoughts, Bunyad Bhatti a sophomore at TCNJ states, “Attending the International Day of the Girl conference at the United Nations Headquarters was a surreal feeling. We discussed the heartbreaking experiences that have made girls fight so hard. At the same time, it was phenomenal seeing girls from all over the world unite over one cause. Here, for the first time in my life I felt equal to everybody surrounding me – we were all just a girl.” These empowering words definitely show the power of this conference and highlights that a girl is capable of doing it all and nobody can tell her otherwise.

For more information: http://www.dayofthegirl.org/about

Girls, keep doing you! #girlpower

A current elementary education student at TCNJ. I have a passion for teaching, I love to write, watch TV, I'm a foodie and love anything related to fashion/beauty!
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.