This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s no secret that Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner are divorcing after four years of marriage. At first, it was a shock because they had painted themselves as the perfect couple since the start of their relationship.

Initial reports claimed that Turner and Jonas separated because they have “different lifestyles.”

“She likes to party, he likes to stay at home. They have very different lifestyles,” an insider told TMZ

However, a video posted by Turner during the COVID-19 lockdown that resurfaced on social media confirmed that it was Turner who was the homebody while Joe is the extrovert.

“I’m an introvert,” she said. “Joe’s like…a real social butterfly. So, I struggle to lock him down and have him just spend time with him, so it’s like prison for him, but it’s great for me.”

Regardless, their different personalities remain to be the main cause of their split.

While the former couple intended to make the divorce appear amicable, there was more to the story that was kept out of the spotlight. 

According to Page Six, Turner sued Joe Jonas for “wrongful retention” of their two daughters. The lawsuit stated that Jonas withheld the children from her starting Sept. 20, 2023, and also mentioned that the couple had plans to move permanently to England with their two daughters.

On April 10, the family did just that. The parents also “agreed with hesitation” that their girls join their father on the Jonas Brothers’ tour since he would have more time on his hands to look after the kids; Turner was busy filming Joan.

“The children would then at least be able to spend some time during the day with one of their parents while the Mother finished her filming commitments,” the document said. The report also mentioned that the daughters tour travels with Jonas would be “temporary,” meaning that this arrangement would end once Turner finished filming Joan. Sources revealed that on Aug. 15—which is Joe Jonas’ birthday—the couple got into an argument and that Turner discovered Jonas initiated divorce proceedings “through the media.”

Turners’ document also included that Jonas still has the kids’ passports: “The Father has possession of the children’s passports. He refuses to return the passports to the Mother and refuses to send the children home to England with the Mother.” Turner plans to file another lawsuit in the UK as Jonas’ actions would be a “breach” of her custody rights.

In light of these events, other sources attempted to put Turner in a bad light by accusing her of “partying” too much instead of taking care of her children. 

“Divorce was a last resort for Joe. He never wanted to break up the family, but he had to take what he felt was the best course of action for the girls,” an insider reported to Page Six. “An unhappy home isn’t a home and the truth is that he and Sophie were going through it this year.” The source ended with “It just kept building, and Joe finally reached a point where he felt that he had exhausted all options to salvage the marriage.”

According to the divorce documents, close friends of the couple saw signs that their marriage was falling apart months before they announced their divorce.

“They were not separated but they’ve been living separate lives for months,” an insider said. 

Only days after Jonas filed for divorce, photos leaked of Turner having a girl’s night out with Taylor Swift multiple times in the same week. The internet went crazy over this development—because Swift had dated Jonas back in 2008—and while it may have only been a publicity stunt by Turner, she did a nice job of putting herself in a good light.

Despite this whole saga, there is a good ending (at least for now) to all the drama that’s unfolded. On Oct. 11, Turner and Jonas were able to reach a temporary agreement regarding the custody of the children. The court documents say that until Jan. 7, 2024, the children’s time between the two parents will be split up between these dates: Turner will get them from Oct. 9 to Oct. 21, Nov. 2 to Nov. 22, and Dec. 16 to Jan. 7; Jonas will have custody of the girls from Oct. 21 to Nov. 2 and Nov. 22 to Dec. 16.

Hi! I'm Chiara and I'm an English major at TCNJ. When I'm not writing for Her Campus or frantically typing up an article for The Signal, you can find me reading, hanging out with friends, or curling up with my cat and watching a movie.