Style > Beauty

I’ve Tried Over 11 Brands of Eyeliner…Here are the Best Ones!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Like a lot of people who enjoy wearing makeup, I love a good eyeliner. Eyeliner makes your eyes pop and adds flair to any makeup look. But there are tons of eyeliners on the market so it can get confusing on which one to pick. Luckily, I have compiled a list of 11 different brands of eyeliner I have tried and will tell you which ones are fantastic and which ones are not-so-fantastic. 

Maybelline Master Precise All Day Liquid Eyeliner 

Back in 2012 I discovered the world of makeup and this was the first eyeliner I ever tried. Maybelline is one of the OG brands in the beauty industry and this is the perfect eyeliner for beginners due to its formula and its price. For $8.99, you get a pigmented formula and a tip that is not hard to maneuver. The only issue with this eyeliner is the fact that it has a felt tip. Felt tips have a habit of drying out quickly so make sure you close your eyeliners tightly!

Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

This eyeliner was a cult-favorite back in 2014 and just like everyone else I succumbed to the trend and decided to try it out. The formula with this eyeliner is good but it’s not as pigmented as other brands and will dry out within a month. The best thing about this eyeliner is the brush tip. This tip makes eyeliner very easy to put on so it is good practice for beginners! 

L’oreal Infallible Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner

I tried this eyeliner because I heard a lot of great reviews on it and I wanted to try a drugstore brand so I wouldn’t break the bank at Sephora (we’ve all been there). This eyeliner is honestly better than the Maybelline Master Precise because it lasts longer, the formula is a lot more pigmented, and it is easier to do a winged look!

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner 

This eyeliner is another cult favorite along with the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner but this one takes the lead. This eyeliner means it when it says it’s waterproof, seriously, this will last all day and on top of heavy eye makeup. The thin tip also allows for a precise wing which is something we all struggle with. 

Fenty Beauty Flyliner Longwear Liquid Liner 

You can’t go wrong with Miss Rihanna especially when it comes to her makeup brand Fenty Beauty. The component is triangular-shaped which makes it easy to grip and the formula is very long-lasting compared to other felt-tip eyeliners. 

Haus Laboratories Liquid Eye-Lie-Ner

As much as I love Lady Gaga, there was nothing very special about this eyeliner. The formula was decent and lasted for a long time but could’ve been more black. The only perk with this eyeliner is the fact that this pen has lasted the longest out of all my eyeliners. 

UrbanDecay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil

Even though liquid eyeliner is the best to use for a winged eyeliner look, pencil liners are essential for tightlining and making your eye color pop! I recently bought this pencil because of its reviews about it being smudge- and budge-proof, which is something too common among many pencil and gel eyeliners. This formula is phenomenal! It truly sticks to its name and glides on your waterline like a dream. I wore it for over 8 hours and it did not smudge into my concealer AT ALL! These pencils also come in a variety of colors and formulas!

Lancome Drama Liqui-Pencil Longwear Eyeliner

This pencil eyeliner is only slightly better than the UrbanDecay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil and it is mainly due to its precision. The pencil is budge-proof but also blends well if you want a smokey-eye look. Either way, your eyes will look sultry and sexy with this pencil.

Colourpop BFF Liquid Liner

I was so excited about this eyeliner but honestly…it’s not worth the money. The formula is runny and doesn’t last very long. You are much better off buying L’Oreal or Maybelline for the same price. 

Too Faced Better Than Sex 

Now I normally don’t like anything made by Too Faced but this eyeliner…is my go-to! This formula is probably one of the best at higher-end stores like Sephora and Ulta. It is extremely long-lasting, pigmented, and will give you the sharpest wing! 

Nyx Epic Ink Liner & Matte Liquid Liner 

Whenever I need an eyeliner that looks pitch-black on glitter and other heavy eye makeup, I use this eyeliner hands down. This formula is the blackest formula I have ever used (I always say it’s a better dupe for the Kat Von D eyeliner)! The Epic Ink Liner is a pen but the Matte Liquid Liner is a bottle that you dip the brush in which makes it a bit more difficult to apply on the eyes. But both of these liners are extremely precise and will forever be in my makeup bag!

Hi I’m Anagha!! I’m a senior in college. I love all things beauty, especially makeup and skincare. I review makeup products on my beauty account on Instagram @beautybyanagha. I am always watching out for new collections so expect content whenever anything drops :)
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!