I Tried Audiobooks — and Here’s What I Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As an English major, reading has always been a passion of mine, always having my nose in a book since I was young. Now that we are in a digital era, nothing can be as comforting as picking up a good book and reading it in complete silence with no interruptions.  

That being said, I was always against audiobooks. I could never imagine myself listening to a book for hours on end. I always wanted a hard copy to feel complete. However, my freshman year of college showed me a completely different side of reading that I was not fond of. I previously saw reading as a leisure activity, and when I was assigned reading every single night for multiple classes, I learned to dread it.  

I decided to finally give audiobooks a try and this is what happened.  

My first audiobook was New Family Values by Andrew Solomon. Recommended to me by my cousin, I figured I would never be able to put it down after she described it to me. At first, I hated listening to the audiobook. I could not visualize the characters or the people talking in the novel. It just sounded like jumbled words. As a visual learner, it was difficult for me to rely only on my auditory senses.  

My first issue is that I would attempt to listen as I was exercising. Multitasking while listening to the book made it background noise, so I was not actually paying attention to the narrative. I struggled with this because I truly did want to listen to the book, knowing I did not have time to sit and read it.  

I never thought you could “listen” to a book wrong, but I was. After the third or fourth chapter, I finally fell in love. I began to listen to the book at night before I would go to sleep. Although it was hard to keep my eyes open after a hectic day, it began to give me the same feeling that reading a hard copy did. I would sit with my eyes closed and visualize as the author was speaking. I enjoyed listening to the author read and could hear the emotion that was portrayed.  

When he read in a specific tone, it evoked a specific feeling from me, almost as if I was experiencing the novel first hand. I found myself flying through books, after I learned what worked for me. I would listen more intently than I would if I was reading the novel.  

While I never thought I would be one to enjoy audiobooks, I just had to learn my tricks for listening. Although I have grown to adore audiobooks, I would always prefer a hard copy. Listening to these books floated into my academic life as well being that they helped advance my listening skills. I think audiobooks can be extremely helpful for those who are auditory learners, not visual. A student could always have a hard copy and follow along while listening. That being said, I highly recommend audiobooks and all that they have to offer!

Emily is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She is double majoring in Elementary Special Education and English.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.