This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

If you are getting over a breakup, life probably feels so much harder than it usually is, and I’m here to help you out! You don’t need them, you got you, and that is all you will ever need. I have a few tips to share that will certainly help your heart hurt a little less. It’s what I’ve learned through my own experience of learning to love myself. 

1. Realize your worth. 

I need you to sit with yourself and remind yourself what you bring to the table. Make a list of 10 reasons why you’re special; why you are essential to the world. This will help you remember what is so great about yourself. You are so much more than you make yourself out to be. If you are going through a breakup – the person who hurt you didn’t see your worth because if they did, they would not be okay with losing you. You are so worthy of love and easy love, not complex. You deserve everything and more. Put yourself first, set your standards, list your goals, and dedicate yourself to yourself! You deserve it. Don’t ever let a man be the reason you lower your standards. 

2. Let yourself be sad. 

I cannot stress this one enough. Let yourself feel all the feels. Sit with yourself, cry it out, and it will pass, I promise. Imagine your feelings as if they are ocean waves – they always crash and dissipate, and so will your feelings. Every time there is a new wave, it will come and go just like all the others. I know this is easier said than done, but this practice can help comfort your uncomfortable feelings. The most comforting quote I’ve ever heard is, “You haven’t met all the people that will love you.” You indeed have not met everyone that will love and adore you yet. Be gentle with yourself, too; you’re doing the best you can. 

3. Buy yourself something you like

Whether it’s your favorite coffee, flowers, a new outfit, or even food, buy yourself something to give you a little burst of serotonin. Treat yourself because you know yourself better than anyone else! 

4. Do something you’ve always wanted to do.

So you’re single now you have no one to answer to. Do anything and everything you’ve always wanted to do. Whether it’s getting that haircut you were always hesitant of or flying to a different country, do what your heart desires. No one is judging you; you are in control! The world is your stage; stand up, girl & and get ready to own it! 

5. Dress up! 

The absolute best way to feel better about yourself is to dress up. I mean, who doesn’t feel their confidence shoot up when they put on a cute outfit, some jewelry, and some makeup? We all know the phrase “Dress to impress,” but instead, impress yourself! 

Lastly, healing is not linear; take your time, queen; you got this! Now go be a baddie and love yourself!! Sending all my love <3

Anvi is a Senior Biology major! She is a succulent and cacti enthusiast who advocates for all things health and wellness. You can find her online shopping, drinking protein shakes or hanging out with her friends :)