How to Survive Your Language Requirement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Classes can be stressful, especially when they’re language classes. Anyone familiar with the American school system knows how confusing it can be to sit in a room and listen to a professor ramble in a forein language. Of course, we all wish it were an easy subject to learn, but it’s okay to admit that it’s always hard to learn an entirely new language in only a handful of college semesters. It’s also important to understand that no one expects you to become fluent in your chosen language; they expect you to become familiar with it, and hopefully learn something new! Here are some golden rules that will guide you towards surviving a college level language course.

First, don’t be afraid to speak up. When you get confused in class, just raise your hand and ask you professor to repeat themselves. There’s no need to be embarrassed about asking for clarification. Don’t be ashamed if you need help figuring out how to spell, or pronounce, a certain word. It’s a forein language after all! It definitely won’t help your grade if you have to guess constantly, especially on tests and quizzes. So, when in doubt, remember to just ask for help.

Next, get in contact with your classmates. Whether it is by making a group chat or creating a study group, communicating with others who are taking the class can be a great help. Chances are, you’re not the only one who’s confused. Your classmates may need help with the material as well, which means you can probably help each other out with group studying and understanding the content.

Finally, make sure you use all the resources at your disposal, especially the tutors. The TCNJ Tutoring Center has some resources for forgien languages, and if you contact them they just might be able to help you! The Tutoring Center is located in Roscoe West Hall, in Suite 101. If you can’t get an official tutor, a more knowledgeable friend or even an online resource like Duolingo can help you get a better grasp on the subject. Studying, while tedious and the bane of any college student’s existence, is the only way to get better at a subject.

Using the resources that are available to you such as speaking up, forming study groups, and getting tutoring will hopefully give you a better chance at passing your language course. It’s an important learning experience in the academic course load to be exposed to a subject you have no knowledge about. But, remember that no one expects you to be speaking fluently by the end of it all, they just want you to put effort in and listen! Forgien language requirements will always be stressful, but it’s also a chance to learn about fun and interesting new words and cultures!

Senior at TCNJ, majoring in Journalism & Professional Writing.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.