How To Start The Semester on a High Note

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Beginning a new semester is a fresh start and another chance to showcase your talent, skill, and intelligence. The best way to have a successful semester is to start off prepared, which can entail many different things, but the most important is getting organized. Follow these tips below to have your greatest semester yet.

1. Buy your supplies early.

On the first day of class, you should already have your textbooks, notebooks, folders, pencils, erasers, etc. that you need. You’re only going to feel more stressed out if you have to borrow a pencil from somebody in your lecture because you didn’t bring anything with you, and I doubt that’s how you want to begin your semester.

2. Invest in a planner.

Although planners don’t work for everyone, I definitely can’t live without mine. Scheduling out my days and my weeks makes it so much easier for me to visualize what I have to do. In my opinion, planning will help get your schedule on track more quickly, and it will also enable you to mange your time more efficiently.

3. Actually read your syllabuses.

After every class or before every class (depending on when you get your syllabuses), make sure to actually read through them. Even though they’re usually long and tedious, reading them will give you a better idea of what to expect throughout the semester so that nothing comes as a surprise along the way.

4. Go grocery shopping.

This one primarily applies to students who live in apartments and make their own meals. You want to go to the store as soon as you get back to campus so that you can have healthy and balanced meals throughout your first week of classes. You don’t want to be scrambling or eating chips because you forgot to grocery shopping.

5. Make goals for yourself.

Take the time before your classes begin to set realistic goals for yourself for the semester. Do you want to spend more time in the library? Do you want to start going to the gym? Do you want to go to sleep earlier? Whatever they may be, actually mapping out your goals will give you a better shot at attaining them.

Good luck this semester – you’re going to rock it!

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.