This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Ever since I spent an ungodly amount of time inside after Covid-19, they made my high school go virtual for the rest of junior year. That year, I found myself paying more attention to social media, specifically TikTok. With this extra time I spent endlessly scrolling through TikTok, I stumbled across various fashion videos of creators showing off outfits they’ve come up with. Seeing these fashion videos focused on people’s particular styles made me start to think more about how I want to dress, and what I want my personal style to look like. Thus began my fashion style journey.

When I was growing up, I didn’t entirely care about having a distinct fashion style. I kind of just wore whatever was comfortable and convenient at the time. I didn’t really start experimenting with my style until junior year of high school, but I didn’t drastically experiment with it. (During junior year, I mainly just wore cute polo shirts with mom jeans and vans.)

My senior year of high school was when I finally started significantly experimenting with what I wore, mainly because I did virtual school my senior year, and spent even more amount of ungodly time inside than I did junior year. This year was personally a great time to continue experimenting since no one could judge me at school for changing how I started dressing.

I started aiming more towards a grunge style with my outfits during senior year. On the same token of wanting to dress more grunge, I also wanted to keep the comfortability aspect that I’ve always liked in my outfits and clothes. This is when I started leaning more towards baggy pants and jeans, which is a big contrast to all of the skinny jeans I used to wear growing up. I’ve come to dislike skinny jeans now, mainly because of how tight they feel on my skin.

Another thing alongside me dressing more grunge is my newfound love for accessorizing my outfits. I wasn’t too much of a jewelry kid growing up. In fact, I don’t really think I had a lot of jewelry in the first place, but as I got older, I started to love accessorizing and adding jewelry that goes with the vibe of my outfit.

As for the social media platforms that have influenced my style the most, I would have to say that TikTok and Pinterest are tied for first place. Again, viewing videos of outfits that influencers and creators have come up with for specific styles has influenced and inspired my current style tremendously. Pinterest is great for searching up a style and using that as a way to experiment with your own style.

Social media has impacted my style drastically, and my style would’ve stayed the same if it wasn’t for these creators. Here are a few of the influencers who continue to be an inspiration to my style today: celticbleeding on TikTok, 00grey on TikTok, ivantlove on TikTok, sukhaneverdies on TikTok, myspacemama on TikTok, skyoplex on TikTok, olivengcanty on TikTok, wwabisabi on TikTok, and Enya Umanzor (enyaumanzor on Instagram).

Jenna is a Junior at TCNJ and is a Journalism/Professional Writing and Communication Studies Major. She goes by She/They pronouns. Their hobbies consist of playing the violin, playing the guitar, writing, and reading.