Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How to Shop on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Image Source

Every girl loves a shopping day, whether it’s a form of retail therapy or they just want to update their wardrobe. But, what happens when you barely have enough money to splurge on your favorite clothing stores? It can be hard trying to shop while keeping track on your spending, but like the saying “shopping is the best therapy,” and it’s hard for us ladies to resist from buying that stylish shirt or pair of booties. I know every woman have to treat themselves every once in a while, but you don’t have to spend all of your money on one or two items to do so. It’s essential to know when to shop and how to shop; this way you can add to your wardrobe without burning a hole in your pockets, ladies. Here are a few tips to help you know how to shop when you’re on a budget, and trust me you’ll love this!

Go to the Clearance Rack

Whenever you’re shopping in a store, it’s always important to check the clearance rack. You never know which items will be discounted. As a Brand Representative for Abercrombie & Fitch, I always see customers going to the clearance section the moment they walk into the store. I never knew why, until I decided to look at the clothing we sold in the clearance section. There were really nice and stylish pieces that were $15 to $20 or 30% off the discounted price. This is definitely a steal!

Shop at Inexpensive Retailers

Before you decide to spend all of your money at high-end retailers, check out the low-end retailers first. They usually sell similar pieces at affordable prices. Many clothing stores like Forever 21, H&M, and Zara have high-quality clothes that are affordable. So, don’t worry because you’ll be getting the same compliments with these clothing items as you would for any expensive item, and it’s all worth it because you didn’t have to spend all of your hard-earned money.

Shop Online

I can’t stress this enough ladies, SHOP ONLINE! I know some of you may be opposed to online shopping, but when it comes to saving your money, let’s just say online shopping will become your best friend. Every clothing website offers each first-time visitor to their cite a discount that usually ranges from 10% to 50% off. If you subscribe to their email list, you’ll also get immediate alerts when there’s a sale going on or any other deals happening.

Find an Alternative That’s Similar to the Item You Want

As I mentioned before, there’s many low-end clothing retailers that sell items similar to the high-end brands. Just find the item you want and ask a sales associate at the clothing store to show you a similar item, which is always less expensive. You can also buy basic clothing pieces that are low-priced and style it with a statement piece to make it look stylish and bring attention to your outfit.

I hope this was helpful to you and you’re able to use these tips on your next shopping spree!

Cover Image Source

Ashley Franklin graduated The College of New Jersey with a BS in Marketing and minor in Communications. During her time at TCNJ, she actively contributed to their Her Campus chapters' online magazine, taking on many roles from Marketing/Publicity Coordinator to Social Media Specialist. She's a lover of all things fashion, beauty and food--and enjoys binge-watching the latest Netflix series (Gossip Girl being one of her faves).
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.