How To Not Get Spring Broke Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Midterms are coming to a close, and Spring Break is finally upon us! Whether you’re going on an extensive trip to across the border or a mini getaway within the States, saving money should always be a high priority for us college students. Below are some money-saving tips and tricks to use over Spring Break so you don’t go broke!

1) Booking a last minute flight or hotel?

If you’re looking to make last-minute plans for a vacation, make sure to book your hotel and airfare in a private window. The Internet can be tricky, and many online booking sites increase their prices and rates the more you click through the website. Using a private window guarantees that the prices won’t go up while you navigate your way through different options. In Safari this is called a “Private Window,” and in Chrome this is called an “Incognito Window”.

Source

2) Bring your student ID

Always make sure to bring your student ID with you on your vacations and day-trips. Ask at places like retail stores and museums if they have a student discount. A lot of the time, they do! It’s always a good idea to have your TCNJ ID with you in your wallet or back pocket to save – because a saving a little can go a long way.

Source

3) If 21+, go BYOB!

For those of the legal age, the mindset of Spring Break usually ties itself to a nice, relaxing cocktail! Maybe on the beach, or maybe out at a bar in New York City! Instead of racking up a bill in a restaurant or bar, look for places that are BYOB. You’ll save a ton of money and have the same experience!

Source

4) Save your data

Opt out of using up all your data while in a new place with this trick – search the address or location of where you’re going, and then type in “ok maps” after it, and your GPS will direct you where to go while being “offline.” This is a life-savor if you are in a different country and your mobile plan doesn’t cover out-of-country roaming!

Source

5) Look for unconventional places to stay

Instead of staying at an grand, over-the-top, expensive hotel, consider unconventional shelters such as hostels, renting a room through Airbnb, or even camping! It can be fun and exciting to try something new, all while saving you money!

Source

We hope everyone has a relaxing, stress-free Spring Break full of deals and steals!

Cover Image Source: Kyra Mackesy

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.