How to Make a Change While Staying Fashionable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In college, we attempt to look our best while staying on a budget. But instead of searching for the cheapest outfit, why not search for apparel that gives back! Next time you want to splurge on a cute new outfit, check out these few sites so that you can make a change and still stay fashionable. They will surely make you and others get more out of your money than most typical clothing companies.

1. Love Your Melon (Pediatric Cancer)

Love Your Melon sells beanies, baseball hats, shirts, and other accessories that raise awareness for children battling cancer nationwide.  When you purchase a hat, a hat is delivered to a child living with cancer, and a part of the proceeds also goes towards cancer research. Also, if you click The College of New Jersey at checkout, the campus crew gets credit, which gives them the opportunity to deliver hats and smiles to patients themselves.

2. Ivory Ella (Elephants)

Elephant lovers will love this company because not only do these clothes sport adorable designs of elephants on them, but also a part of the proceeds go directly to helping save real elephants all around the world.  More Elephants and more cute clothes = a happier planet.

3. Sevenly (Cause of the Week) 

Each week, this clothing company chooses a different cause to address by creating clothing and accessories that are stylish, and promote the campaign for that week.  If you love cute clothes and accessories, and do not have a specific cause you wish to donate to, then this is the perfect company to sport. On each purchase, $7 or 7% of the proceeds go directly to the charity of the week.  So far they have addressed problems from giving orphans good homes, to supplying clean water to those that do not have access.  According to them, “People Matter”- it’s their slogan and something we should all be supporting.

4. FEED (World Hunger) 

Hungry? Unfortunately, many people around the world are currently, that’s where FEED products come in. With each purchase, a number of school meals, stamped on the product, are provided to a child. Their products are mostly different bags for anything you could ever need, but they also sell clothing and accessories as well. Their designs are unique and trendy, and support a great cause. Let’s FEED the world together. 

5. Out of Print (Children’s Literacy)

This clothing brand is exceptionally interesting because the designs are all based around literacy.  T-shirts express images and quotes from different iconic novels, as well as our favorite authors.  Not only are the products different than most, but with each purchase of an item, a book is donated to a child in a community that has a lack of literacy.  So next time you need a quirky gift for your friend that is a bookworm go to this site so that you can make a difference for the children.