This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s Monday morning, and your alarm just went off for the third time. As you squint to make out the time, you quickly realize that you have approximately 20 minutes to be ready for your 8 AM lecture. Fashion is immediately put on the backburner as you zip in and out of the bathroom, throw up your hair, and zoom out of your dorm in – let’s face it – a TCNJ hoodie and jeans.

Too many collegiettes classify school spirit wear in the “thoughtless outfit” category. Think about it…sweatshirts, t-shirts, sweatpants….most of us don’t really reach for our TCNJ apparel with intentions of heading to class in a particularly sharp ensemble.  Well, we’ve been missing out, because it turns out that our campus bookstore has a lot more options than just your staple hoodie! Plus, with a quick spin on the traditional college gear you already own, it is possible for that TCNJ tee be part of a compliment-worthy outfit. Check out this list of easy, fuss-free ideas for taking bookstore apparel from cliché to cute!

1. Crewneck Sweatshirt

While most of us have TCNJ hooded sweatshirts, the crewneck version is less common on campus. To amp up the style factor, pair it with a collared, button down shirt underneath and pearl earrings. You can use a plain white shirt, or experiment with colors and prints to add a playful essence to your outfit. 

1. Quarter-Zip Sweater

Because of its cute collar, this sweater automatically gives you a prim and proper vibe, with virtually no hassle. You can find variations at the bookstore in gray, navy blue, or even white fleece, and all options pair perfectly with some simple gold jewelry. Add some small studs or a gold chain for a nod to our school colors and an elegant finish to your outfit!

1. Athletic Tee

A basic round-neck t-shirt can be paired with a boyfriend cardigan – think charcoal, navy, or mustard to complement our school colors – and ridings boots for a crisp and clean outfit that has academia written all over it… but with a trendy twist. Also, if you’re really into the university look, check out the TCNJ oxford cardigan that can be paired with literally any shirts or tanks currently in your wardrobe.

1. V Neck Sweater

One of my personal favorites, this super soft sweater should be a staple in any TCNJ colliegette’s wardrobe. The overall cut and fit of the top is just relaxed enough to be totally comfy, but still flattering on any body type. Try tucking the sweater into dark rinse jeans, and pair it with cute, skinny belt. A bright belt will add both a pop of fun color, and highlight your figure!

1. Bandeau

Now that spring weather has arrived, check out the cute TCNJ bandeaus in the bookstore! They’re super fun, and are perfect for a night out. You can wear them under a sheer lace top, use them as a pseudo-cami under a v-neck tunic, or pair them with a white cut-out tee for the next highlighter or paint party.

1. Fitted Tee

Break out a light, fitted TCNJ t-shirt and still stay warm by pairing it with an infinity scarf. Turn any regular scarf into an infinity scarf by tying the ends together, and tucking them under the layers wrapped around your neck. Don’t worry too much about matching the scarf to the shirt…. adding another color will give dimension and personality to the look!

1. Crop top

This is another great find at the bookstore that is less common on campus, but incredibly versatile. You can wear this crop top with leggings for a comfy Sunday night of studying, or with low rise jeans for a casual night out with friends. Try adding a long sleeve shirt underneath to stay warm in the winter months. Go for a solid white or cream to match the lettering, or try a printed thermal if you’re feeling adventurous!

1. Beanie/ Scarf

A little can go a long way with statement school spirit pieces, and a small extra accessory can totally change the vibe of your look. Brighten up any outfit you have with some Lions’ pride by adding a TCNJ beanie or knit scarf. These can look particularly cute if you add them to a basic shirt that already has some simple combination of white, navy, or gold.

Comment with your favorite style tips for TCNJ gear!