This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Distance can be hard to deal with, whether it’s a long-distance relationship or friendship. But, while some connections slowly fade away, others become significantly stronger. Mine was the latter. When my best friend moved to another state for college, I had some very mixed emotions. While I was extremely proud and happy that she’d gotten into one of her top-choice schools, I was so upset my partner in crime was moving away. However, that long-distance friendship turned out to be something magical for both of us, because it allowed us to establish a connection that went beyond physically being together and was more candid and sincere than it had been before. Here are some ways my best friend and I maintained our long-distance friendship and how you can too.

1.     Sending random snaps to each other

We see weird stuff every day, so why not share it with your best friend? Let them know about that squirrel searching through the trash in the mornings or that one person sleeping in the corner of the library. And if nothing interesting comes to view, ugly selfies are always an option to bless your best friend’s day with your presence. After all, are you even best friends if you don’t have screenshots of their weirdest faces?

Image source

2.     FaceTime or video calls

Whether you have hours long gossip sessions, dramatic story times about each other’s lives, or simply stare at the screen while doing your own work, video chatting with your best friend certainly feels like being in each other’s presence.

GIF source.

3.     Watching the same movies and TV shows

We all know that a thousand thoughts form inside our heads when watching a movie or a TV show. And while some turn to Twitter to express their opinions, I turn to my best friend. We rant about the stupid decisions the characters make, crush over that one attractive actor, and sometimes analyze the plot. We develop a shared interest, which goes a long way in connecting us.

GIF source

4.     Making each other hand-made gifts or writing letters

There’s nothing wrong with going old-school sometimes. Writing letters and making handmade gifts not only adds a personal touch, but it indicates that you’re willing to put in time and effort for them.

GIF source.

5.     Making future plans

Talk about the things you’d do and the places you’d go when either of you goes to visit. Romanticize, be imaginative, and have fun.

Image source.

Sameen is currently a Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a junior majoring in Biopsychology and is on a pre-med track. When not studying, she can be found curled up with a good book or trying her hand at a new hobby (e.g. playing the guitar, coding, learning a new language).