Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

How I Fell in Love with Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

For the first nineteen years of my life, I prided myself on being a Shoprite Price Plus member and an expert on the Target dollar section. Little did I know that only forty-five minutes from my house in South Jersey, the holy grail of food shopping exists. It wasn’t until my sophomore year of college that I discovered all that Trader Joe’s has to offer and how it would change my life. 

Losing my Trader Joe’s virginity was something I always dreamed about. When I came to school I would hear everyone rave about the quirky culture and unique food items that are exclusive to the store. From low prices that any college student can afford to snacks that taste delicious and look cool, I decided it was time to ditch Target and adventure to the Princeton Trader Joe’s. 

My first time walking through the automatic doors I was instantly greeted by the friendly faces of the Trader Joe’s employees. I wandered around the produce section and grabbed various fruits and vegetables that will be my healthy snacks and add color to my diet of everything bagels and lemonade from the Library Cafe. As I ventured deeper into the store I discovered a variety of snacks scattered all across the shelves. From Valentine’s Day-themed candy to chocolate, to crackers and dried fruits, I grabbed every snack I could and quickly filled up my cart. 

Finally, I made it to the frozen foods section and that’s when Trader Joe’s and I solidified our love. I grabbed frozen chocolate-covered bananas which to this day are still the best thing I’ve ever eaten and I continuously keep them stocked in my freezer. Lastly, I grabbed frozen pasta meals with veggies for a whopping two dollars. As I pay and make my way out I have bags of groceries to last me for weeks and I still have money left in my wallet. Now, whenever I find myself hungry I drive straight to Trader Joe’s. Every. Single. Time. I will forever be happy that my friends introduced me to such an interesting place and I look forward to the cultural experience every time I go. 

My name is Cecelia Jost and I am a sophomore at TCNJ. I major in marketing and plan on minoring in communications. I love beauty, fashion, and writing and am super interested in magazines and editorials.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!