How I Feel About Only Having One Year Left of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As I sit in my apartment writing this article, I still can’t fathom the fact that I only have one year left of college. It seriously feels like I strolled onto campus just yesterday for welcome week, and I can still clearly picture myself as the naïve and anxious freshman who didn’t know what to expect from college. Now I know that the people who are graduating this year probably feel a whole lot more nostalgic than I do right now, considering that their college years are over, while I still have time to experience the highs and lows of college life. Knowing that next year is going to be a series of “lasts” makes me miss it already.

Only three years ago, I was a nervous introvert trying to make her way in the “real world.” I had to force myself to join clubs and organizations on campus and put myself out there. I had to force myself to speak up in class, and the thought of a job or internship interview would’ve made my insides flip. I was extremely homesick the first few months, and I was incredibly worried that I’d never fit in on campus or get used to the college routine. I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, and at that point, I didn’t realize that it was okay to be uncertain about the future. I’ve grown immensely since then, and if someone had told me then about all that I would accomplish within the next few years, I probably would’ve laughed in their face.

While I still get butterflies in my stomach, I’ve come a long way in three years. I’m part of four executive boards, I’m a tutor on campus, and I have had several successful and enriching internship experiences. I’ve made some amazing friends, I’ve become more confident in myself, and I’ve learned how to speak up because my opinions matter just as much as everybody else’s.

Most importantly, I guess what I’ve realized is that you really do get out of college what you put in. Although it might sound cliché, it’s the truth. If I hadn’t stepped out of my comfort zone as often as I did my freshman year, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

Nevertheless, I know that I still have a lot more to learn in my last year here at TCNJ, and I’m so excited to see what it’s in store for senior year, so here’s to the 2018-2019 school year being the best one yet!

Senior year, bring it on!

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.