How To Get Over Post-Summer Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

College students know the feeling of post-summer blues; what happens over the course of the first few weeks of the fall semester, usually beginning at the end of August and ending in mid-September. No matter how excited one is to move in, get back to campus and see their college best friends, post-summer blues are inevitable, but not incurable. Here are some ways to get over them:

1. Think about fall activities

As busy as classes and extra-curricular activities might get, you can still make time for the multitude of fun things to do in autumn! Pumpkin picking, apple picking, haunted hayrides, and fall festivals are just a few of the activities to have in the back of your mind when you are missing the beach this September.

2. Immerse yourself in autumn scents

As much as we love the scent of summer air – the chlorine and salt water – it’s time to start thinking about the fantastic seasonal smells that come with fall. Candles and room sprays in the scents of apple cinnamon, pumpkin, cloves, and cinnamon vanilla will likely take your mind off of summer sadness.

3. Surround yourself with fall colors

Once summer rolls around, everything around us gets brighter with colors of orange, yellow, pink, and green. For September through November, colors like rust, hunter green, purple, navy blue and chocolate brown are most popular and seasonal. Slowly incorporating these new colors into your dorm room and/or day-to-day wardrobe will help you focus more on the upcoming season.

4. Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin anything

When Starbucks brings out their famous Pumpkin Spice Lattes, you know autumn has arrived and it’s time for cozy sweaters and warm blankets. If you’re more of a Dunkin’ Donuts person, they also brought back their pumpkin coffee and treats, and they’re all so delicious!

5. Throwback Halloween movies

As a kid, there was nothing better than the annual Disney Channel Halloween movie or watching the thirteen nights of Halloween on what was ABC Family. Besides those movie watching opportunities, films like Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown will definitely kick start those nostalgic autumn feelings.

So there you have it! Now that school is starting and summer is coming to a close, it’s time prepare for autumn. And even when you find yourself missing the pool days and barbecues, just remember that there is so much to look forward to for the new season.

Cover Image Source

Olivia Grasing is a journalism student who aspires to work in the fashion/lifestyle industry.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.