Meredith Kress-Converse And Fallen Leaves
Meredith Kress / Her Campus

How to Get into the Fall Mood with the “Gilmore Girls”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Gilmore Girls truly captures the essence of fall. The small-town vibes and expansive Thanksgiving celebrations make you crave classic fall experiences like sitting in front of a fire and watching the leaves turn. If you need a little help transitioning from a crazy summer to a cozy fall, these tips from our favorite Gilmore Girls will guide the way. 

1. Take your favorite sweaters and sweatshirts out of storage.

It’s time to dust off those storage bins and reach into the back of your closet because it’s about to be sweater weather. This is the time of year when it’s finally cold enough to wear your favorite comfy sweater, but not so cold that you are weighed down by your winter jacket. During this fantastic time, you can definitely get some style inspiration from both Lorelai and Rory. Their favorite fall looks include plain sweaters paired with fun vests or jean jackets. However, if you’re looking for a more classic angle, any sweater with eye-catching patterns or lots of bright colors will do. Should all else fail, you could always break out that old Chilton uniform. That long, checkered skirt and blazer is the definition of Stars Hollow chic. 

2. Have a movie marathon.

Settling down on the couch on a chilly night to watch one of your favorite films is a fall staple. However, there are some fun ways to put a Gilmore Girls twist on your movie night. Firstly, you must buy every single item of junk food in your local grocery store. No, this is not a joke. Purchase every single item of food that looks even remotely unhealthy and you will be on your way to a classic night in the life of Lorelai and Rory. Another tip is to choose a movie that you consider a classic. This can be a timeless film such as Casablanca or even a slightly more eclectic choice like Pippy Longstocking. The final rule of a Gilmore Girls movie night is to not move around during the movie. You’ll distract the other viewers. We’re looking at you, Luke Danes. 

3. Get ahead on your schoolwork.

Try to channel some of Rory’s work ethic as the assignments start to pile up. The transition back into the school year can be overwhelming and sometimes it can feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Follow Rory’s lead and dedicate yourself to getting ahead so that you are not crushed for time later on. Use whatever study tactics work for you, even if you need to find your academic archnemesis to motivate yourself. (We stan Paris Gellar in this house!) Don’t be the Rory that drops out of Yale. Be the Rory who coined the phrase “Who cares if I’m pretty if I don’t pass my finals?” You’ll thank yourself down the road. 

4. Drink Coffee

Need I say more? There is no time more necessary for coffee than the fall. School has started up again, the weather has become chilly, and you need that pick me up to get you through the day. Or, if you are from Star Hollow, about seven pick me ups per day. Find the coffee spot that you feel most comfortable at and head over there when you need some time to unwind. The warm cup in your hands (partnered with flirty banter with a gruff, but handsome owner) is surely the best way to start your fall mornings. 

Follow these tips to prepare yourself for the changing seasons and fully embrace the spirit of fall. Or just re-watch Gilmore Girls. Either works. 

Jillian Lynch is a sophomore at The College of New Jersey. She is majoring in Communications Studies with a specialization in Public/Mass communication and a minor in marketing. On campus, she is an Orientation Leader for TCNJ's Office of Student Transitions and a member of Theta Phi Alpha Sorority. In her free time, she enjoys listening to Taylor Swift, watching Netflix, and reading about new trends.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.