Wellness

How the Center for Student Success Helped Me Get More Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I’ll admit, I have never been the most efficient worker. Yes, I get things done on time and always manage to pull off a decent grade, but the steps getting from the assigned date to the due date is always a bit of a scramble. My freshman year of college, I coasted a bit by taking classes that allowed me a lot of flexibility, but as a sophomore, it was definitely more than I expected. As an education major, I started going to school for my practicum, and along with that, I was assigned more lesson plans, assignments, and case studies than I could keep track of. It didn’t help that I added a lot more extra curricular activities onto my plate. My mentality was that my brain was definitely capable of juggling, and I definitely didn’t need a $50 planner to write down my entire life on. While that is still the case, I will say that writing my entire life down has actually helped me, but it took a while to get there.

I was having some trouble balancing everything, but I didn’t realize how much trouble until I sat down and talked to my CA. It was a routine one-on-one that I expected to be over in five minutes, just to catch up on how I was doing. But as he asked me questions about how I was doing, I realized I was not doing well. I was so overwhelmed, and really had no idea how to manage my time. So, he recommended me to the CSS: The Center for Student Success. This was something I heard about during my freshman year, where people went for tutoring and resume checks. I hadn’t given it a second thought, but my CA told me that it had really helped him. So, I decided to check it out. I made an appointment with Jamal Johnson, and boy, it was probably one of the greatest decisions that I have ever made.

As my friends can agree, I always know what my problems are. I mean, they stare right back at me in the mirror. I am a procrastinator, and that hasn’t changed all of middle school, high school, and even in college. My first meeting with Mr. Johnson was as eye-opening as I hoped it would be. He told me things that I tried to ignore about myself. Even while juggling my schoolwork, my job, and my extracurriculars, I still had free time that I wasted doing nothing. Instead of getting stuff done, I was complained about all the work that I had to do. Understandably, that is a very poor way to go about things, but that was what I had done. Mr. Johnson told me to start planning my days to the hour. I had to break my time down, and plan everything. That micromanagement of my time was what I needed. Hearing the words come from him helped. It wasn’t that I hadn’t known what I was doing, but rather that I ignored and pushed away from my mind. I started using the calendar on my computer and it helped me to see everything laid out. After a few days, I realized that I needed something tangible, so I bought a planner that had the hours written down for me. While it wasn’t $50 or even close to it, the physical planner helped me even more. 

Slowly, I am trying to get into a routine of planning my days and looking ahead. As a sophomore, I have a few more semesters before I start living on my own, and I won’t have free school resources that I can use whenever I need some extra support. So, if you learned anything from this, you should definitely use all the resources that your campus offers. I have improved my work ethic, and learned so much from just two meetings, and I can assure you that it will help you, too.

Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.