This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

With the midterm elections coming up next month, Time reports that over 800,000 people registered to vote this year as a part of National Voter Registration Day.  To increase voter turnout, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders will be speaking about this very issue with New York Times National Political Correspondent Alex Burns at the University of Maryland on Oct. 3 at 8 pm. Senator Sanders will be discussing the midterm elections, and the importance of voting especially for college students. Her Campus TCNJ will be hosting a viewing party for this event in the Brower Student Center, room 224. There will be free food, a raffle and New York Times items for everyone.

Sen. Sanders began his career in politics long ago, and was Vermont’s only congressman in the House of Representatives for 16 years. In 2006, he was elected into the U.S Senate and is the longest-serving independent in congressional history.

When Sen. Sanders ran for President in 2016, one of his most well known platforms was making college tuition free and debt free. To name just a few ideas, Sen. Sanders suggested making public universities and colleges completely free, cutting back on student loan interest rates and tripling the federal work study program. In addition to tuition free college, Sen. Sanders also advocated for more environmental protection, raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour and a woman’s right to choose. “The decision about abortion must remain a decision for the woman and her doctor to make, not the government,” according to Sen. Sanders’ campaign website.

Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.