This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Harry Styles recently released his first new song and video since the release of his first solo album in May 2017. This new track, titled “Lights Up,” is thought to be about self acceptance and the struggles of being in the spotlight. “Lights Up” was released on Friday October 11th just after midnight. Harry released the track and the accompanying music video with little warning. On October 10th, Harry posted two images, one white and one black, both reading “Do you know who you are?,” to his Instagram story. 

He also posted a photo of himself dressed in a sparkly blue top and matching baby blue suspenders to his Instagram, of which fans later learned was a picture from the music video. Harry also sported a cross necklace in the photo. These posts seem to mark Harry’s return to social media, as he has not been very active since the end of his last tour in 2018. 

IMG Source

Fans also noticed that on Harry’s VEVO channel, there was a premiere set for Friday, October 11th at midnight.  As it got closer to midnight, Harry posted another photo with the title of the track written over a screenshot from the video. Prior to this post, many fans thought that the title of the track was “Do you know who you are?” because of Harry’s earlier post on his Instagram story.   

IMG Source

Styles also released a music video for the track. The video shows Harry riding on the back of a motorcycle, floating around in pink tinted water, and being suspended from the ceiling, cut in with shots of him singing the lyrics. The video has a bit of a hazy 1970’s feel, including many bright colors and some more of Harry’s amazing fashion sense. 

Overall, the song has a fun catchy beat and deep lyrics that seem very personal for Harry. The sound is very different from his previous work, but fans are waiting with excitement to see what he does next.     

Marisa is a sophomore math and education major at The College of New Jersey. She likes music, art, and movies.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!