Grammy Awards Recap: Must See’s from Music’s Biggest Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The stage is set, the winners are ready and the vocal warm ups are completed-it must be music’s biggest night! The 2016 Grammy Awards aired this past Monday, February 16th at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California with historic moments and memorable performances. Whether it was in tribute to a late legend or a musical featured from hundreds of miles away, the 58th Annual Grammy Awards was a show that was a spectacle.

Opening the night was none other than Taylor Swift, one of the top winners of the evening. Taylor performed her latest hit, ‘Out of the Woods’, and left the crowd in awe with her high notes and vocal ability. Plus, she looked flawless while doing it.

Oh yeah, and her album 1989  won Album of the Year which makes her the only female to have won Album of the Year twice, but who’s checking?

Another big winner of the night was Kendrick Lamar. Kendrick took home the award for Best Rap Album for To Pimp A Butterfly, while also giving an insane performance. His incorporation of fire, glow-in-the-dark streaked outfits and extremely dizzying camera movements definitely make his performance one to remember.

What blew the audience’s minds was the spectacular performance from the cast of Hamilton from the Richard Rogers Theater in New York City. Popularity for the musical grew instantly with the fantastical vocals from amazing actors, simply putting reasoning behind the sold-out shows and extreme hype about the musical. Let’s not forget to mention, Lin Manuel Miranda actually rapped the acceptance speech for Best Musical Theater Album.

Adele came to slay, as per usual. However, during her performance of All I Ask, it appears as if there was an audio malfunction causing glitches while fading out her voice. Regardless, she looked and sounded perfect under those circumstances. Keep doing you, Adele, you can literally do no wrong.

One of the most unbelievable moments from the night came from Lady Gaga and her tribute to the late and great David Bowie. Not only did she don his eccentric apparel for the red carpet, she performed some of his greatest hits with the use of filters and a wardrobe honoring Bowie’s stage presence. Fresh off her Super Bowl performance, she still managed to take our breath away while honoring such an insanely passionate innovator.

The band Alabama Shakes also came to deliver, with their passionate performance of their song Don’t Wanna Fight. Subsequently announcing a tour following the show, Alabama Shakes brought down the house and definitely expanded their fan base (now including me!). One of the biggest winners of the night, the group also took home Best Alternative Music Album, Best Rock Song, and Best Rock Performance.  

Making an entrance like no other, Queen Bey herself Beyoncé arrived to present the final award of the night. The Grammy Award for Record of the Year went to her fellow Super Bowl performer Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson for their hit Uptown Funk. Beyoncé looked as elegant as ever in an all white gown, while Bruno Mars was over the moon with bliss for his fourth overall Grammy.

Other big winners of the night include Ed Sheeran, who took home the Grammy for Song of the Year for Thinking Out Loud and Meghan Trainor for Best New Artist. The Weeknd also had a big night, taking home his first two Grammy Awards while Justin Bieber nabbed his first with his feature on Skrillex and Diplo’s Where Are Ü Now.

In the Best Dressed category, besties Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez showed the true meaning of girl power. Selena donned a sparkly blue number with cut-outs, while Taylor rocked a two-piece orange and pink combination with a new hairstyle and bright lipstick to match.  

Carrie Underwood opted for a gorgeous black dress with a sophisticated slit and a grand diamond necklace.

Ellie Goulding kept it chic and elegant in a soft pink gown with a gorgeous diamond back.

A pregnant Chrissy Teigen radiated in a white cape dress, supporting her Grammy Award winning husband John Legend.

Demi Lovato also stunned in an all-black blazer number prior to her killer performance in honor of Lionel Ritchie.

Tori Kelly dazzled us in a green gown in her first Grammy appearance and performance.

Christina MazzeoClass of 2018Marketing Major
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.