This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

By Regina Yorkgitis

Thanksgiving is a time to catch up with loved ones, remember our American traditions and savor a second serving of pumpkin pie. But this holiday season, not everyone will enjoy Thanksgiving. Sadly, some people are hungry, homeless, and lonely.  

Luckily, you can help, collegiettes! Catch the giving spirit this Thanksgiving with this guide. 

Organize a can drive: Soup Kitchens, like Trenton Area Soup Kitchen, accept donations of cans, wrapped utensils, and many other essentials all year. Purchase canned soups from the C-Store and encourage your friends to do the same. Contact student organizations and offer a prize to the organization who donates the most goods. To learn more about volunteer opportunities with TASK visit: www.trentonsoupkitchen.org.

Share your talents: Are you a performer? Apply to volunteer at a nursing home like The Greenwood House in Ewing, N.J. Many nursing homes welcome entertainment for senior residents. After the show, talk with the residents. Some people may not receive as many visitors as they would like. Your visit may be the highlight of their week! Visit their website to learn more: http://www.greenwoodhouse.org/volunteer-opportunities

Design a fundraiser: When it comes down to it, every volunteer organization could often use a little cash. Bake your famous cupcakes and sell them. Host a talent show and sell tickets. Donate the proceeds to a cause you are passionate about.

Donate clothes: Remember that shirt you bought last year, but never wore? Gather together all the items you no longer want or need from your closet and donate them to a local homeless shelter.

Get involved at TCNJ: Check out the volunteer opportunities that TCNJ offers. From Colleges Against Cancer to Circle K, TCNJ has several different ways to get involved in helping out our surrounding community. Join something new and meet new friends in the process!