Get in Shape with the T/W Fitness Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Now that summer has officially passed, it’s time to embrace fall with its cool, crisp air and picturesque foliage. We can wear sweaters and boots once again and go apple picking or pumpkin carving. However, one of fall’s downsides is its fewer number of daylight hours which often throws off our routines, especially our workout schedules. Now with it getting darker so much earlier, many of us have to take our workouts inside and it’s no secret that the Physical Enhancement Center can’t accommodate a large influx of people. Luckily, there is an exciting alternative found in the Travers/Wolfe Fitness Center.

For those of you who don’t know, the TW Fitness Center (TWFC) is located in the link between the Travers and Wolfe towers and offers fitness classes year-round for students. The center is equipped with everything you need for the classes which are taught by certified professionals who are truly passionate about the classes they teach.

One such teacher, senior accounting major Danielle Bellomo, is in her third year teaching at the TWFC and currently teaches Cardio Kickboxing and Booty Boot Camp. “I treat each class I teach as a personal training session with each of my students … and I feel like I am helping them to reach their fitness goals and showing them a fun and new way to work out,” says Danielle.

There are also a variety of classes to choose from, so you can decide which one is right for you depending on what type of workout you enjoy most, what areas you want to target or which ones fit best in your schedule. Classes fall under the categories of yoga and pilates, Zumba and bootcamp, and aerobics and kickboxing and are offered Monday through Friday.

Junior biology major Colleen Stalter finds the TWFC to be a great way to stay in shape. She says, “Having scheduled classes made me be disciplined about making time for exercise, and since they were so much fun, I found myself looking forward to them. The environment at the fitness center is so welcoming and energetic that you’ll have fun no matter what class you go to!”

One of the best parts of the fitness center: membership is totally free, which makes the TWFC extra student-friendly. There’s really no excuse not to try at least some of the classes.

“The instructors at the TWFC are great, and the classes are such a good price – FREE! What’s not to love,” says junior accounting major Erin Silkowski.

One of the most popular classes at the center is Zumba, a dance-fitness class. It’s in such high demand that the TWFC has at least one Zumba class scheduled each day, and students have nothing but good things to say about it.

Jen Aleman, a junior biology major, has been taking Zumba classes at the TWFC since her freshman year. “Every class feels like a party and time always passes so quickly, it’s like you’re not even working out.”

And junior psychology and early childhood education major Stacey Harrington agrees that Zumba is one of the best classes. “It is a great outlet for when school is stressful – I can just let loose and have fun dancing with friends!”

Check out the TW Fitness Center’s website and like their Facebook page (TW Fitness Center) in order to learn more about the classes, instructors, and schedule. Chances are you’ll find a new favorite way to exercise.

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.