Get the Most out of Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The only time I pulled an all-nighter was not cramming for a test or writing a paper, it was shopping on Black Friday. The need to find the best deals and scour every store outweighed my desire for sleep, or so I thought. As the early morning hours stretched on, my feet began to drag, and not just because of my multiple shopping bags. Even though there were still many more stores to explore and bargains to find, I had lost the will to shop, something that has never happened before. As I thought over my Black Friday excursion (after several hours of much needed sleep) I felt like my night had fallen short of a total success. I had things I didn’t need, spent more money than I had planned, and didn’t feel as if my purchases validated my insane night of dealing with hoards of people, standing in line after line, and rummaging through pile upon pile of clothing. In order to make future Black Friday’s more successful (and humane) I decided it was time I devised a better game plan.

Step 1: Get Organized
This is a great time to get all of your holiday shopping done and even get a few things for yourself. Compile a list of the things you’re looking for ahead of time. It’s never a good idea to go into a store with no idea of what you are looking for. You wind up buying things on impulse that you may later regret. Because of the crazy crowds it’s best to go into a store with an exact idea of what you’re looking for, so that you won’t waste time looking at everything and trying to decide if you have a use for it or not. You’ll need to save time somewhere, because there’s no way to avoid the long lines that you will inevitably wait in. But on the plus side, you can use that time to mentally check off things on your list and map out your plan for
the rest of the night.

Step 2: Do Your Research
Now that you know what you’re looking for, decide the best places to find everything. Obviously, the less stops and the closer the stops are to one another, the better. You can look at store circulars in the mail and online to find out ahead of time which stores will offer the best deals, as well as when the stores open. For hot items like electronics, you most likely need to get there when the store opens to stand a chance. Figure out which stops are a priority, and do those first; then stop by the malls and clothing stores for the other items on your list.

Step 3: Employ the Buddy System
Bringing a friend along is useful for your safety, sanity, and shopping efficiency. With the bustling crowds and anxious atmosphere, you definitely want someone with you to help fend off those overzealous bargain hunters. Also, you are going to want someone there to give you their opinions on items and just to talk to in general. We all know it’s no fun to shop alone, and Black Friday is no exception. If anything, this is the day where it is most important to have a friend with you. Two pairs of eyes cover a store twice as fast, so a friend can also help you to locate things more quickly. Another bonus, you and your friend may not be looking for items in the same stores; for those stores where only one person has an interest, the other one can automatically get on line, thus making the wait time shorter for the shopper.

Step 4: Dress Practically
You may be shopping in the middle of the night or very early morning, but don’t be fooled; what you wear matters. While the temperatures will be freezing outside, store temperatures can range from chilly to hot. Considering the volume of people, count on the store being on the warm side. Dress in layers so that you can easily take one layer off whenever you feel as if you’re too warm. You can easily put a coat or sweater into one of your shopping bags, so that it doesn’t get in the way. Nothing will steal your concentration more than consuming thoughts about your escalating body temperature, so this will keep you focused and comfortable. Your choice of footwear is also important. Unsupportive shoes will have your feet aching in no time, so choose a pair that you know will be comfortable. Also, for both clothes and shoes, select items that you can easily slip on and off; that way if you need to try anything on, it can be as efficient as possible.

With these steps you can have the best Black Friday experience of your shopping career. Just be smart and focused, and don’t let yourself get caught up in the whirlwind of sparkly window displays and the lure of free gifts (well, some are worth it). It wouldn’t hurt to bring along a bottle of water and a snack, because if you’re a dedicated shopper like me, you’ll be out there for a while.