Get Active: 5 Benefits of Zumba

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

You may think Zumba is just for soccer moms who want to get together once a week to gossip. So why all the hype? Zumba is an exercise craze that is quickly sweeping the nation, recruiting not only soccer moms, but also college students and senior citizens alike, and for good reason. Zumba is an effective way to work out and have fun in the process. If you haven’t already, here are five main reasons you should check it out:

• Blast calories

This fast-moving, cardio workout utilizes choreographed dance moves and is designed to kick you into shape. Depending on the intensity of the class and how much effort you exert when executing the moves, on average you can burn between 400 and 600 calories an hour, sometimes more!

• Learn cool new dance moves

Since Zumba is inspired by Latin-style dancing, you’ll learn how to shimmy, shake and salsa. Once you feel comfortable dancing in front of your Zumba class, bring what you have learned from your instructor with you when you go out on the town! These fundamental moves will have you looking like the life of any party!

• Listen to fun, cultural music

Through Zumba, you can expose yourself to all different types of music, spanning multiple cultures and genres. While much of the music is latin-inspired, you may also find yourself dancing along to songs from Africa, India, Egypt and more! Zumba embraces all types of music with a fun, fast beat that can pump you up and encourage you to get moving. This includes genres such as pop, techno, and hip-hop. While music is great because it keeps your workout from getting boring, it is also beneficial; studies show that you get a better workout when you exercise to music.

• Meet new people

There’s no reason for exercising to be a solitary, lonely experience. At a Zumba class, you can meet energetic and like-minded people who can help create an even more enjoyable workout experience. Once you make friends, you can motivate each other to work hard and push each other to exceed any workout limits.

• Avoid all the “gorillas”
    in the gym

If you’re looking for a great workout, but don’t want to deal with the bulky muscle heads who seem to take over all the weights and lifting machines in the gym, then Zumba is perfect for you. With Zumba, you never have to stand around or wait in line to begin your workout; you simply show up to class. And the best part? No equipment—all you need to bring is yourself!

What is Zumba?

According to zumba.com, “It’s an exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, Latin-inspired, calorie-burning dance fitness-party that’s moving millions of people toward joy and health.”

Sign Up!

Zumba classes are offered Monday through Thursday in the T/W Fitness lounge between Travers and Wolfe Halls. These classes are taught by certified instructors and for only $15, you get unlimited access to these and other great fitness classes for the whole semester!

Zumba Schedule:
Mondays, 6:00 to 7:00 pm with Devin
Tuesdays, 7:00 to 8:00 pm with Devin
Wednesdays, 3:00 to 4:00 pm with Devin and 5:30 to 6:30 pm with Theresa L.
Thursdays, 6:00 to 7:00 pm with Theresa L.