Four Reasons Why You Need to Watch Queer Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Image Source

If you’re anything like me, your motto is ‘New school year, new Netflix shows to binge-watch’. So, if you’re looking for something new to watch to avoid writing essays or doing homework, Queer Eye is a must. People can either nominate themselves or a friend/loved one to get a complete life makeover from the ‘Fab Five.’ The group of guys come in and completely change the person over the course of a week, fixing their wardrobe, hairstyle, living arrangement, culture, and eating habits. If that isn’t enough to catch your interest, here are five reasons Queer Eye should be your next Netflix obsession:

1. LGBTQ Acceptance

While our country has made strides toward LGBTQ acceptance and pride, there is still a long way to go. Although Queer Eye is just a show on Netflix, it really shows how the LGBTQ community isn’t that much different from the heterosexual community. The common message in the show is that everyone is human and feels human emotions, and everyone, no matter gay or straight, is looking to feel those emotions without judgment.

2. Jonathan Van Ness

Image Source

Each member of the Fab Five has their own unique personality, but Jonathan is without a doubt the biggest. His catchphrase “Yaas Queen” is a staple to every episode and he is never afraid to flaunt his long, luscious hair. He has made such an impression on audiences, that he was recently asked to officiate Doug the Pugs’ parent’s wedding! (He said yes!)

3. It will make you laugh and cry simultaneously

Image Source

The Fab Five love to joke around as much as they love to tug on people’s heartstrings. The interactions they share with each other will have you wondering how you can be the next member of the group, but the people’s lives they touch will leave you grabbing for the nearest box of tissues. Each episode is an emotional rollercoaster that you just can’t seem to get off of.

4. You’ll learn something new

Whether Antoni teaches you an easy way to make guacamole, or you never knew about Tan’s French tuck, you’ll always learn something new on each episode. Even if it isn’t something related to the five categories, you might just learn something about humanity in general which will really warm your heart.

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.