Four Movies to Check Out this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s still really cold outside, and one of the best things you can do to get off campus is go see a movie. Whether you’re wondering what to see for Valentine’s Day, or whether you just want to know what’s coming soon to a theatre near you, here are four movies to check out! All of them are fantasy, to some extent—or should I say, fantastic?!

Warm Bodies – Feb. 1

Warm Bodies, directed by Jonathan Levine (All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, The Wackness, 50/50) and based on the novel by Isaac Marion, is a zombie rom-com and an undead date movie. Your significant other will more-than-like this zombie movie, and you get to see Nicholas Hoult, who’s adorable, even as a zombie. As the trailer will show, the film takes place in a post-apocalyptic city; it’s about a zombie whose love for a human girl is strong enough to potentially cure the Plague and return the infected zombies to their humanity. On a less relevant note, the music in the trailer is awesome. And even though the trailer totally tells you what is going to happen in this movie, it still looks so good. Check out the trailer here!

Beautiful Creatures – Feb. 14

Beautiful Creatures is based on the first novel in a series of four books by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Everyone has Southern accents (like on True Blood!), and there are witches and romance! The movie appears to have a very epic quality to it, which is helped along by the Florence + the Machine song in the trailer.  The story is from Ethan Wate’s perspective, and it revolves around Lena Duchannes, the new girl who comes from a family of witches. Lena has 75 days until she is claimed for good or for evil. I haven’t read the books yet, but my older sister is obsessed with them, so yes, I am quite excited for this film to be released. This could be the beginning of a beautiful franchise.

Oz the Great and Powerful – Mar. 8

A prequel to everyone’s favorite fairy tale, Oz the Great and Powerful stars James Franco as the future Wizard of Oz. Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams also appear as two of the famous (or infamous?) witches of Oz. The movie’s visuals look stunning, if that first colored shot in the trailer is any indication of what we can expect. We can also expect an adventure similar to Dorothy’s own: the man who becomes Wizard must kill the Wicked Witch, with the help of a motley crew of misfits. Check out the dark fairy tale’s trailer here!

The Host – Mar. 29

Stephenie Meyer wrote the novel, The Host, after Twilight; unlike Twilight, The Host is science fiction and is more adult in that it doesn’t take place in high school. However, it does feature a love triangle (or at least a love polygon) headed by Saoirse Ronan, who plays Melanie/Wanda. But as The Host takes place in a somewhat post-apocalyptic world in which humankind has been taken over by aliens, so it’s not like we have to worry about any awkward lunch scenes. Not in a high school cafeteria, anyway. The Host is about Melanie, who is part of a futile human resistance, and Wanderer (a.k.a., Wanda), the alien who takes Melanie over when Melanie is caught. But Mel still survives, and she gets Wanda to fall in love with Jared, and ultimately the two work together to find him—and then some. The trailer does a good job of world-building and showing those famous eyes. But that love polygon, man…

Which fantasy movie are you excited to see this semester?

Image Sources:

collider.com

movies.yahoo.com

www.comingsoon.net

Rachel Chlebowski is an alumna of The College of New Jersey, where she sang with I-Tunes A Cappella, created props for TCNJ Musical Theater, spread literary cheer through Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, and wrote for Her Campus TCNJ. She enjoys reading novels and watching Netflix when she isn't editing manuscripts and media.