This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

September is Hispanic Heritage Month, and as a proud Latina, I only feel it is appropriate to celebrate this month with four Latina actresses who are absolutely killing it on television right now.

1. Gina Rodriguez

Source

Most famous for her role as Jane Villanueva on the show Jane the Virgin, Puerto Rican actress, Gina Rodriguez, has truly made her way into the limelight. Not only does Rodriguez star in the show, but she also often directs episodes, which makes her essential to the show’s production. She advocates for diversity in all forms such as race, gender, body size, sexuality, and more. In 2015, she became a partner with Naja, a lingerie company that encourages woman of all shapes and sizes to be confident in their bodies, and in 2017, she sang on the single “Almost Like Praying,” written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The money raised by the song was donated to aid in hurricane relief for Puerto Rico.

2) Stephanie Beatriz

Source

Anyone who is a fan of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is probably very familiar with Rosa Diaz, the badass leather wearing cop played by none other than Stephanie Beatriz. In season five, it was revealed that the beloved character was bi-sexual. This was a proud moment for everyone in the LGBTQ+ community, including Stephanie Beatriz herself, who identifies as bisexual. The Argentinian actress has become a strong role model for both the Latina and LGBTQ+ community. And from personal experience, I can attest to how powerful it was to see a bisexual Latina on screen. Fun fact and *SPOILER ALERT*: in season five, you can find Gina Rodriguez playing Rosa Diaz’s newest love interest.

3) Dascha Polanco

Source

Dascha Polanco is an Afro-Latina actress who has roots in the Dominican Republic and stars in Netflix’s Orange is the New Black. Polanco plays Daya Diaz, and it’s actually her first full-time acting job. As a young actress, Polanco felt discouraged about auditioning because of her weight, but while working to become a nurse, she rediscovered her courage. And thank god she did because can any of us imagine Litchfield Prison without her?

4) Rita Moreno

Source

Rita Moreno is a Latina legend. The Puerto Rican actress rose to stardom after the 1961 hit, West Side Story. Moreno’s filmography is a long list that is currently topped by her current recurring role as Lydia on Netflix’s One Day at a Time. On this family comedy, she plays a Cuban abuelita who completely steals the show with her dramatic nature and Cuban pride. Moreno has been in countless TV shows, movies, and musicals, making her a triple threat. With her illustrious career, Rita Moreno truly paved the way for current and future Latina actresses.

I believe it is so important to celebrate the strides we’ve made with diversity on the screen. Even just ten years ago, Latinas were still playing stereotypical roles, and now we have Latinas playing roles all the way from grandmothers to prisoners.

Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.