Style > Beauty

Five Skin Care Products That Have Worked for Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As someone who has struggled with acne for what seems like forever, I have tried a ton of skin care products in my day. I’ve spent hours scrolling through countless sites and watching numerous “skin care with Hyram” videos in an effort to clear up my skin. It has definitely been a long journey and I’ve learned a lot about my skin in the process. After trial and error, I was able to narrow down my routine with only five products that I feel have really made a difference.

As a side note, I am not a skin care professional at all. What has worked for me might not work for everyone else! I just wanted to highlight a few products that have helped me, in hopes that they might reach someone who is interested!

1. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser 

If you’re searching for a gentle fragrance-free cleanser, look no further! The CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is best for people with normal to oily skin and is non-comedogenic, which means it won’t clog pores. It also contains niacinamide, which helps to soothe and calm your skin. I use it twice a day and I absolutely love how it leaves my face feeling fresh and clean!

2. Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 

Claimed to be a “miracle product” by many, the Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant promises to unclog pores, smooth wrinkles, and even out skin tones. When I first started using this product, I was a little bummed because I wasn’t noticing these results. However, be patient! This product’s secret is that it contains salicylic acid, which according to BirchBox.com, can take up to 12 weeks to work. I started to notice a visible difference after three months and it has become my secret weapon against breakouts. 

3. Teami Green Tea Detox Mask

After doing some research on which facial mask was right for my skin, I found the Green Tea Detox Mask by Teami. With the help of matcha green tea, lemongrass, and bentonite clay, this organic mask will replenish your skin and get rid of its impurities. After having this mask on for about 10 minutes, you can visibly see it reach every pore on your face! It’s insane! 

4. Lush’s Ocean Salt Scrub

In case you are not a fan of chemical exfoliants, I would highly recommend a hydrating physical exfoliant such as the Ocean Salt Scrub from Lush. If you’re not into fragrances then this might not be the product for you. However, the scrubs light salty scent and mix of coconut oil and avocado butter make you feel like you’re on the beach, no matter what time of year! I personally use both exfoliating products; however, I make sure to space out the time between each use and I never use them together. According to Healthline.com, too much exfoliation can cause irritation and ultimately damage your skin.  

5. CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion

Last but certainly not least, my favorite lightweight moisturizer is the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion. Not only is this product affordable, but it contains hyaluronic acid, which according to the CeraVe website, helps to maintain the skin’s natural moisture barrier. I use this product two times each day and I love the results.

As my search continues for a few serums and sunscreens to add to my collection, I hope this article helped you find a product that you were looking for! Always remember to give new products time and do further research on your skin type.

Journalism major at TCNJ!
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!