First Day of Class: What To Expect and What to Bring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As a freshman, the first day of college classes can evoke daunting thoughts and anxiety. You don’t want to be the person who walks in late, sits in the wobbly desk, and receives judgmental glances from the professor. The desire to make a good impression on both your peers and professors weighs heavily as your enter your first college classroom.

College courses are definitely more crucial than classes you’ve previously taken in high school. However, in terms of atmosphere and sometimes workload, there are few differences from what you have experienced in your schooling career thus far.

Luckily, college classes aren’t nearly as intimidating as you may think.

It is important to relax when thinking about the college atmosphere in its entirety. When it comes to the first day of classes, think of it as a typical first day of school.

• It’s likely you won’t know anybody in your classes, except if you take a course with someone who you met during Welcome Week or at Orientation. It’s exciting to start fresh in a room full of unfamiliar faces.
  • You don’t want to start your first college class on the wrong foot. Make sure you are in the classroom at least five minutes prior to the time listed on your schedule. By being early, you get your choice of desks, which means you can steer clear of the dreaded unsteady one.
  • More importantly, entering the classroom early will allow you to get to know the students around you. Generally, the standard conversations involve questions about your residence hall and hometown. Build upon these new relationships in later classes so that you will have at least one buddy when it comes time for group projects or if you miss a class and need the notes.

Remember, not everybody in your class is a freshman. Though mostly freshmen and sophomores take introductory level courses, it is not uncommon to find a token senior in your midst.

Once the professor surfaces, he or she will conduct role call for the first few classes. In order to get to know you better, some professors have students introduce themselves to the entire class, indicating year and origin. He or she will likely require you to bring a course syllabus where you will go over the class expectations and assignments. Be sure to bring a notebook with a folder for the syllabus and any additional handouts the professor may provide. Though it may sound painfully obvious, do not forget a writing utensil. Nothing is worse than mooching off of your new classmates on the first day of class.

The professor will give some sort of reading or assignment on the first day. Make sure you put forth your best effort on the first assignment because your performance will set the tone for your experience with the course. It will show the professor what kind of a student you are and if you submit mediocre work, the professor may make false assumptions about you.

Still stressed? It is understandable since college is such a new experience, but try not to psyche yourself out too much. Yes, this is college, but it also a time to embrace new beginnings and learn a lot – both in your classes and about yourself!

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.