Finding Accurate LGBTQ+ Representation in TV and Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

In the past decade, we have made impressive progress in the movement for LGBTQ+ rights. As more brave, young queer people learn to accept their identity, the media has a certain obligation to display this cultural shift in their content. Growing up, I could not name a single TV show or movie that I had seen with LGBTQ+ representation until I reached the end of middle school. Every child deserves to look at the screen and see someone like them, whether that means incorporating diverse characters with disabilities, a variety of skin tones and cultures, different religions, or the full spectrum of genders and sexualities.  

While it is amazing that we have taken a step in this direction, not all representation is good representation. Filmmakers are often guilty of tokenism and hastily throw in characters to feign acceptance. These characters that buy into harmful stereotypes impair the lives of people in the LGBTQ+ community instead of giving them the voice that they desperately need. To help shorten your search, I have compiled a list of LGBTQ+ movies and shows with strong queer characters… and some that could be improved.

TV Shows

1. Schitt’s Creek on Netflix

Schitt’s Creek follows the filthy rich Rose family after they lose their family fortune and are forced to move to a town they purchased in the middle of nowhere. David Rose (played by Daniel Levy) can, at times, be a little bit stereotypical, but he’s also a developed gay character with amazing dynamic relationships, an awesome boyfriend, and he is known for annihilating gender norms. You have to respect the confidence and, more importantly, the witty sarcasm.

2. Sense 8 on Netflix

Naomi Marks (played by Jamie Clayton) is a strong trans woman played by an amazing trans actress and activist. Naomi and her girlfriend, Amanita, are part of this interesting sci-fi ensemble show that features people from around the world as they come to the realization that they have telepathy. Perfect casting meets well built characters that represent several minority groups? This one is a must.

3. Sex Education on Netflix

This one has quite a few queer characters, one of my favorites being Eric Effiong (played by Ncuti Gatwa). As the main character, Otis’s openly gay best friend, the show addresses some of the struggles of LGBTQ+ people of color. Eric has to come to terms with his sexuality and allow it to coexist with his cultural identity. Regardless of your opinion of the show, nobody can deny that he is the most resilient character of the group. In general, the show uses a different couple each show to prompt discussions about sexuality and identity.

4. The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu

While The Handmaid’s Tale does not center around an LGBTQ+ main character, it captures the stories of Moira (played by Samira Wiley) and Emily (played by Alexis Beldel), two different sapphic women who face discrimmination and abuse in the dystopian world. The show, in general, takes place in Gilead: a futuristic tyrannical world that strips women and the queer community in the name of their religion. Watching these women face adversity and refuse to lose their identities amid a national crisis keeps me sane.

5. Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu

Chief Holt (played by Andre Keith Braugher) is a hardworking gay police chief and Rosa Diaz (played by Stephanie Beatriz) is a bisexual detective. Brooklyn Nine-Nine can be described as The Office meets New Girl in a precinct. It’s lighthearted, but still maintains a plot and addresses societal issues. What’s not to like?

6. Runaways on Hulu and Disney+

For the superhero fans, Marvel’s Runaways follows a group of gifted teens who discovered that their wealthy parents formed a cult under the pretense of charity work. Telling you which characters are in this blooming queer teenage relationship would spoil the plot, so I will have to leave you with the assurance that your prayers will be answered. 

7. Dickinson on Apple TV

This historical drama tells the story of Emily Dickinson, who (spoiler alert) was not the straight woman that historians like to portray. Emily (played by Hailee Steinfeld) has a secret relationship with her best friend Susan (played by Ella Hunt). Dickinson puts a modern twist on this long forgotten tale and is everything that you never knew you needed.

8. The Umbrella Academy on Netflix

At this point, if you have yet to watch The Umbrella Academy, it needs to be given the attention it deserves. Klaus (played by Robert Sheehan) and my personal favorite character, Vanya (played by Ellen Page), are members of a superhero academy funded and run by their estranged adoptive father. Their disastrous sibling duo provides a fresh new perspective on the superpower narrative.

9. DC Legends of Tomorrow on Netflix

Sara Lance (played by Caity Lotz) knits the entire span of the televised DC Universe together. This strong, bisexual woman has featured cameos in Arrow, The Flash, and Supergirl, but finally captured the spotlight in Legends of Tomorrow. Sara and her crew of unique individuals travel in a space ship repairing the timeline. This comedic ensemble show takes the best moments of every other DC superhero show and compiles them in one spot, complete with interesting dynamics and our favorite master assassin.

10. Love, Victor on Hulu

Any fan of Becky Allbertalli’s books or Love, Simon needs to watch this spin off. While this story is not based off of a novel, it still features the coming of age rom-com rendering that every romantic queer person longs for. Not to mention, this show has much more time to develop relationships and delve into characters. Make sure you grab snacks, because I doubt that you will be leaving the couch anytime soon!

Movies

1. Love, Simon on Amazon Prime

This popular movie took a big step in the representation of the LGBTQ+ community. Know your history! Love, Simon is based off of the novel Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Allbertalli and follows a gay high school student, Simon Spier (played by Nick Robinson), as he comes out to his family and friends. Of course, he falls in love along the way and, yes, it is capable of melting the most homophobic of hearts. 

2. The Half of It on Netflix

The title may be misleading, but I assure you that The Half of It deserves a full dosage of applause. The main character, Ellie Chu (played by Leah Lewis), does an incredible job of depicting what its like to be closeted in a small town. Ellie is the town brainiac and the daughter of immigrants. She is quite lacking in the friend department, so when Paul Munsky (played by Daniel Diemer) asks her to write love letters to their mutual crush on his behalf, she agrees. The film is packed with queer subculture and affectionatley complex friendships.

3. Jenny’s Wedding on Amazon Prime

This magnificent lesbian romcom is centered around Jenny (played by Katherine Heigl) and her fiancee, Kitty (played by Alexis Beldel). While they may be engaged, Jenny has yet to come out to her family which, as you can imagine, complicates the wedding planning. This beautiful nearly-coming-of-age story is perfect for everyone who needs a reminder that adulthood does not mean that you need to have it all together. 

4. Vita and Virginia on Hulu

Vita and Virginia follows Virginia Woolf (played by Elizabeth Debicki), another sapphic English writer. Apparently, there were quite a few lesbian authors in classical literature! This movie is great for the romance seeking English major or anyone who has been reduced to reading queer subtext for much too long.

5. Pride on Amazon Prime

This film is jam-packed with activism and LGBTQ+ characters. In 1984, the main character, a closeted gay man named Joe (played by George MacKay), is in London for his first Pride parade. Pride follows him as he is accepted into a queer community of activists. It is perfect for anyone who wants to make friends in the gender or sexuality minority, and those looking to learn more about this fact-based historical event!

6. Captain Marvel (This is 100% wishful thinking) on Disney+

We are all aware that Captain Marvel is not a film with LGBTQ+ representation. In the comics, Carol Danvers (played by Brie Larson) has only ever been paired with men. However, I firmly believe that she is bisexual due to her relationship with Maria Rambeau in the film. 

You might want to skip these…

1. Riverdale on Netflix

Kevin is introduced with the following conversation:

“Veronica’s new here and Kevin is-”

“Gay, thank God! Let’s be best friends.”

I do not think that this needs further commentary.

2. The 100 on Netflix

As much as I loved the first few seasons of this show, they revealed that the main character was bisexual by introducing her first female love interest: Lexa (played by Alycia Debnam Carey). Lexa is killed off mere episodes later and, unfortunately, there have only been short glimpses of LGBTQ+ characters since. The main character Clarke (played by Eliza Taylor) has only had long term relationships with men in the following seasons. 

3. Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix

Grey’s Anatomy has featured plenty of developed LGBTQ+ relationships throughout its many seasons. The only reason that it was rewarded a place on my list is the development of Callie (played by Sara Ramirez) and Arizona’s (played by Jessica Capshaw) relationship. Apologies for the bitter undertones, but anyone who appreciated dramatic television will agree that they had the best storyline in the series.

4. Game of Thrones on Amazon Prime

Similar to The 100, Game of Thrones kills off one of their only gay characters in a large explosion. While they are known for killing important characters for shock value, did it have to be the only one who was not straight?

5. Mean Girls on Netflix

We all know that Mean Girls is undeniably an early 2000s classic. However, the role of Damian (played by Daniel Franzese) is one of the earlier examples of superficial LGBTQ+ representation. His character is not one of substance, consequentially seving as the “gay best friend”. This was just one movie that participated in constructing the stereotypes of the queer community, forcing future characters into a box that constricted their development and the validity of the representation itself. Sorry to the fans of the movie, but the notion that sexual orientations consume entire personalities should not be advertised in the film industry!

Hey! I'm McKenzie, an English and Journalism double major at TCNJ who loves to read and write! I’m an obsessive Harry Potter fan, a Marvel enthusiast, and have a minor in women, gender and sexuality studies.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.