Feel Good Book Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I love books. I love all books — any shape, any size. But, there are some that have stuck with me long after I closed the back cover. That’s the difference between a good book, and a great one.

There are great books of all genres, and here are a few of my absolute favorites:

Image Source

1. This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

This book is one of my all-time favorites. Tropper is an exquisite writer with such an amazing voice by being witty and tragic at the same time. Judd Foxman, in the midst of a messy divorce, receives the news that his father has passed, with his last dying wish being that his family sit shiva to mourn, though he wasn’t Jewish. These seven days bring Judd together with his family, who may not be as well-off as Judd assumes, and help heal him in unexpected ways.

Image Source

1. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Such a sweet story that will hold you until the very end. Will Traynor, a successful businessman, is left paralyzed and wheelchair bound after a tragic motorcycle accident. An average English girl, Lou Clark, is hired to be his caretaker. Though Will at first is anything but gentlemanly, Lou brings out the better in him as they grow closer and closer each day, until Lou finds out a secret that will change everything. The ending will have you busting out your tissues in no time.

Image Source

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The book that single handedly got me through high school. Freshman Charlie is coping with his best friend’s suicide and starting high school by writing letters addressed to no one. Overcoming chronic shyness, he befriends Patrick and his step-sister Sam, who take him on a rollercoaster of a year filled with laughs, late night drives, Rocky Horror, and most importantly love. Wallflower no more, Charlie learns to face his hardships head on, no matter how painful they may be.

Image Source

1. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

A book that will you lead you on an adventure of soul searching without ever leaving the page. Liz has hit a wall: she loved, divorced, and is completely lost, until she decides to heal her broken soul by eating her way through Italy, praying her way through gurus in India, and eventually finding love in Bali. Gilbert’s writing is descriptive and incredible, and her story will surely inspire readers to take a hold of life and live it fully.

Image Source

1. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur

‘milk and honey’ changed my entire life. I’m not exaggerating — I own two copies. If you are or have ever dealt with pain, loss, or love at its finest, you will fall head over heals for Kaur’s unique poetry. It’s completely beautiful. Enough said.

Image Source

1. One More Thing by B.J. Novak

This book is a feel-good because of how witty and down-to-earth it is. It will warm your heart while also serving a dose of necessary reality.

On a side note, I loved this book for years, and when the author and widely known face of Ryan, on The Office, B.J. Novak performed at the College, I got him to sign my copy.

Image Source

1. Wild by Cheryl Strayed

My beach-read for the summer, and I couldn’t be happier. I was hooked on this story from the beginning. Cheryl has lost everything: her mother, her husband, and decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in order to find her new self. Her struggles are especially heartbreaking because the story is true, and readers can feel Cheryl’s ache and joy as she hikes from California to Washington. Be ready to go on a journey, and find your wild.

Cover Image Source

Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.