This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Fur is a fashion statement like no other. It is considered a luxury to own fur, whether it be on jackets, sweaters, vests, or blankets. This year, fur key-chains have been all the rage and handbag designers like Michael Kors have implemented the trend into many of their designs. As winter is now here, fur will become a more familiar site in fashion.

Today, December 2nd, is Faux Fur Friday. Today is a time to break out your furs for fashion, but also a day to discuss the important of faux fur over animal fur.

Although fur is considered lux and lavish, and is soft and warming, what many people cease to remind themselves as they are shopping or purchasing it is that an animal was harmed in it’s making. Methods used to kill animals for their fur include gassing, electrocution, and neck breaking. Fur-bearing animals are also caught and killed in barbaric body-gribbing traps. More than 50 million animals are killed for their use in fashion each year.

Fur and fur trim are not byproducts of the meat industry. The truth is, animal skins are rarely obtained from slaughterhouses. Fur comes from animals who are factory-farmed or trapped purely for fashion.

Many European countries are beginning to ban fur farming, based on the understanding that it is impossible to raise furbearing animals in captive conditions that adequately ensure their welfare while maintaining financial viability.

Fur is bad. Okay, you get it, right? But sometimes we don’t even realize we are purchasing animal fur. Many times garmets or blankets are lined with fur trim. Fur trim is not what’s “left over” from making full-length fur coats – thousands of animals are killed each year simply for their use in fur trimming for fashion.

So, what can you do? Luckily, today is the day that you can make a difference. Today, on Faux Fur Friday, sport your favorite faux fur piece and start a conversation with your roomate, the person sitting next to you on the bus, or your professor. Explain why you’re wearing faux fur today and ask them if they own fur.

It is absolutely possible to stay fashion-friendly without causing harm to our animals. Faux fur is not only cruel-free and sustainable, it is also many times a cheaper alternative to animal fur.

When shopping, check the tags for animal fur! And don’t forget to head out the door today decked out in faux fur and feel good! After all, no cute animals were harmed in the making.

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.