Milan Cathedral
Milan Cathedral
Photo by Parisa Burton

Fashion in Milan: Study Abroad Student Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The Fashion Scene

As the official fashion capital of the world, Milan sets a supreme standard for style and innovation. As a student studying abroad in Milan during my Fall 2023 semester, I had the opportunity to witness the superb style trends prevalent in this fashion-forward city.  

From the moment I stepped foot on Milanese pavement, I was struck with culture shock observing the day-to-day dress of locals. Sophisticatedly dressed individuals strolled the streets, boasting bold style choices. It appeared every other person was ready to walk a fashion show. 

Cultural Dissonance

I felt out of place with my surroundings, as my unsophisticated attire was transparently American. Arriving with minimal clothes, I had the perfect opportunity to revamp my wardrobe and feel my best in this chic city. 

The superior fashion hubs residing in Milan fueled my addiction for shopping, satisfying my desire to dress to impress. I frequented sustainable stores to fulfill my need for affordability as well as meet my aspiration to embrace sustainability.

Milan Fashion Week 2023

The message from Milan Fashion Week 2023 was evidently clear: Sustainability is becoming increasingly important in the fashion world. The finale of Milan Fashion week welcomed the Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana Sustainable Fashion Awards. 

Gucci, one of Italy’s luxury brands, took the throne for the Ellen MacArthur Foundation Award for Circular Economy. This victory was propelled by their “Denim Project,” where they partnered with a Regenagri-certified farm in Spain, and incorporated regeneratively farmed cotton in their denim line.   

Sustainable Fashion: Thrift Shop Milano

In my time in Milan, I was particularly impressed with a sustainable store called Thrift Shop Milano. Founder and owner Camille Velasquez opened the shop in July, 2022. Accepting donations and sourcing treasures globally, the shop stands as a testament to conscious fashion.

1PPvRXfxDMjUpTnazMqAHIkYL8u9qxvY

“The things I sell in the shop are all carefully selected by me through my suppliers,” Velasquez said. “With donations, they are partly sold at a symbolic price to create circular fashion and to reduce waste.”

This gem first gained popularity on Tiktok and Instagram, attracting both young tourists and Milan locals to browse the tastefully selected products and see the aesthetically pleasing interior firsthand.

On a mission to embody Monster High’s Draculaura for Halloween, I had tough luck finding a top. However, Thrift Shop Milano presented the perfect match in its diverse corset collection. 

xjmOcpztyEJHWVgn4lZg 3trivBOQJYqfzxpMAL85PydqLnrY1 rCBZ5 ObKypJtf0Aw

Velasquez’s Take on Milanese Fashion

“People have taste and are not afraid to express themselves through it,” Velasquez said. “Certainly the trends I find most often on people now are animal prints, layering and enriching an outfit with accessories of all kinds.”

With sustainability at the forefront of her values, Velasquez does her best to reduce consumer waste by selecting high-quality pieces that are timeless. 

“I definitely try to stay up to date with the selection and trends, but I want to remind my customers that trends come and go, so to buy things with awareness and to be sure to take advantage of the chosen items in the future too,” Velasquez said.

Velasquez describes Milan’s fashion scene as accurate, varied and iconic. There is a reason why Milan stands as the official fashion capital of the world as it is in tune with current fashion trends, very versatile and is culturally distinct. Overall, Milanese fashion is not easily defined because the style here is diverse and dependent on individual tastes. 

U38FnCRxSayYHz942fSO0amdCYSrFtvjhbSmEllhVV76Q54o040Dfk53LhcrW4zqhujsIUUrA49Wk gBatG1nNTwYt3Ouo1caj6VwXgK3YN J 6bHEH6SE1tB0 8o59Wgbfpk6DX3e sg376PUPk278

Sustainable Fashion: Other Favorites

Another second-hand fashion store I visited was called Vendiamolo. Here, I was captivated by the most beautiful piece of clothing: a purple sequin embroidered corset top. To my disbelief, it was only 15 euros. I dressed it up with purple accessories for my first night out in Milan. The top is a timeless treasure I will keep forever in my wardrobe. 

PRyRsvDx tDIFdR4 l9qpirJa7VHc6V0r9EeV5m yD6GwJhy p 2XuDjUDUfdG2BDTkxDRZBoAbvy4LUvIGeIIbVJr8tXD9n9FXD8TtqtFn YJZHyg2jvA5LofjdrsJGaGE8nbfWpcvDIQPSg Z0dEg

An additional favorite fashion avenue of mine was the flea markets. In particular, East Market Milano is a massive market dedicated to vintage, antiques and second-hand clothing. Here I found a beautiful red sequin top that I dressed up to create my second Halloween costume: Jade Bratz doll.

bszDtZlVU9ESEXA

My Takeaway

Fashion in Milan is diverse. There is no defined style, people simply wear what aligns to their personal tastes. Reflecting its work-focused culture, a prevalent theme I witnessed in the street were sophisticated business looks, sported by both men and women. People walk in hurried paces, like they are ready to tackle their professional endeavors.

One thing is clear: Everyone dresses to impress in Milan. Lazy outfits are practically non-existing, and while it could be strenuous to keep up at times, it was a fun opportunity to experiment with my style and indulge in the diverse fashion hubs. Nights out with friends while looking and feeling our best are the moments I will cherish forever.

My name is Parisa Burton and I am a junior pursuing a Marketing major and Journalism minor. I am a staff writer for The Signal, my school newspaper, contributing one article each week for the publication. My academic journey took a detour to Milan, Italy, in my Fall 2023 semester, where I immersed myself in journalism and business courses, which shaped my cultural perspective. One fun fact about me is that I love animals and currently have three cats. I also like staying active, by going to the gym or playing tennis. In the future, I see myself incorporating my love for travel and fashion into both my career and personal life.