Fall Snacks We Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s that time of year again. You’re wearing sandals less and sweaters more. You’re ditching iced coffee for a hot latte and there’s no denying the bittersweet fact that summer has once again passed us by. As the weather gets cooler and the days get shorter, there is no better way to celebrate the changing seasons than with the tastes of autumn’s delicious spices. So forget the sugary treats of summer and check out some of our favorite snacks of the season – all of which are sure to help keep you fit for fall!

1. Homemade Spiced Popcorn
It’s high in fiber, it’s a whole grain, and 3 cups of it (popped!) is the equivalent in serving size to one slice of bread. When popcorn isn’t drowned in movie theater butter or saturated with sugary caramel, it can be good for you – great, actually! This homemade spice mix combined with popcorn is flavorful without being fattening, so feel free to munch away while catching up with all your favorite fall TV shows!

Spice Mix Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegan confectioner’s sugar
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
Salt to taste

Directions:
Pop one packet of natural, unbuttered popcorn. In a small bowl, stir together confectioner’s sugar, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Lightly dust over the popcorn, until all popcorn is evenly coated. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon before serving.

Quick Fix: While popcorn is pretty quick to make, there are some shortcuts you can take with the spice mix. Instead of measuring and mixing the spice mix every time you make a batch of popcorn, make enough for several servings and save it for next time.

If you don’t want to buy a container of each spice, a great alternative to this mix is pumpkin pie spice! Strange as it may seem to be adding to popcorn, pumpkin pie spice is really just a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, and it’s found in most grocery stores – no prep required!

2. Pumpkin Bread
Pre-packaged baking mixes are typically not the best option (the mixture of preservatives and ingredients I can’t pronounce is usually enough to scare me off), but Trader Joe’s pumpkin bread mix is the exception! All of Trader Joe’s products are free of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. A package of their Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Mix only costs $2.99, and is SO simple to prepare. What’s not to love?!

Ingredients:
1 box bread mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil*
1 cup water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a standard 9×5-inch loaf pan with no stick cooking spray or butter. Combine eggs, oil, and water in a medium bowl. Add mix. Fold together with a rubber spatula until batter is smooth. Spread batter in pan, filling corners and leveling top. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.

*If you’re looking to keep this recipe a bit healthier, feel free to use substitutions here. Try using only one tablespoon of canola oil, and about 3/8 of a cup of either applesauce or pumpkin puree.

Quick Fix: On those days when you’re running late to class or know you won’t have a chance to sit down for a meal, Kashi’s TLC Pumpkin Spice Flax Crunchy Granola Bars are a must. With six grams of protein and four grams of fiber, these granola bars won’t leave your stomach growling.

3. Fresh Bruschetta
This may not sound like a typical snack, but fresh bruschetta is a healthy option filled with calcium, Vitamins A and C, Potassium, and Lycopene.

Ingredients:
1 pound plum tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
1 small red onion, minced
1/8 cup minced parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil*
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar*
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar*
Half baguette, sliced 1/4 inch thick**

Directions:
Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegars in a large mixing bowl to make. Serve warm baguette slices topped with bruschetta.

* If you don’t cook often, you might not want to purchase individual bottles of olive oil, balsamic, and red wine vinegar. A simple trick I learned from my Aunt Lynda is to use a bottle of red wine, olive oil and vinegar salad dressing.
**Another delicious option is baking or grilling eggplant to serve with bruschetta instead of bread. It definitely requires a fork and knife, but it is a great alternative!

Quick Fix: If you’re not a DIY kind of girl, a great alternative to making your own bruschetta is fresh-made salsa. Most supermarkets sell mild and hot varieties, and you can often find salsa that is made locally. Look for it in the refrigerator section! For a fresh alternative to tortilla chips, try pairing with carrots or celery.

4. Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Missing the taste of warm baked apple pie, but don’t have an oven or the time required to make it? This recipe for a delicious bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal is a great way to start the day, and it doubles as a snack that is full of fiber!

Ingredients:
1/3 cup oats
1/4 of an apple, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup water
pinch of salt
dried cranberries

Directions:
Combine the oats, apple, walnuts, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and stir to combine. Stir in milk, water and maple syrup. Microwave for about 2 minutes. Stir. If too runny, continue to microwave in 30 second intervals until the liquid is absorbed. Top with additional walnuts and dried cranberries if desired, and enjoy!

Quick Fix: If you’re craving that apple pie flavor without any prep, look no further than a piece of delicious, ripe fruit sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon (Don’t use too much… A small amount of cinnamon goes a long way!). With apple picking season well underway, why not take a Saturday and head out apple picking with friends? Less than 20 minutes from campus is Terhune Orchards, which offers pick-your-own apples and pumpkins this time of year!

Try any of these recipes? Do you have any go-to recipes that you’re loving this fall?
Leave a comment and let us know!

Sources:
http://www.manifestvegan.com/2010/11/autumn-spiced-popcorn/
http://www.terhuneorchards.com/pick_yourown.html
http://cravingchronicles.com/2010/01/13/apple-cinnamon-oatmeal-with-walnuts/
http://www.traderjoes.com/products.asp
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/19

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.