EXPOSED: TCNJ’s Best Kept Secrets

Bits of fairly crucial information save upperclassman from long lines and unnecessary waiting around when it comes to basic activities such as eating and doing laundry. Unfortunately, as a freshman, you only learn these tips once you’ve experienced sometimes annoying, time consuming endeavors.

At certain points in the day, pockets of the campus are infiltrated with students. Her Campus has provided a list of “campus bests” in order to ensure that you’ll know it all, from when and where to get Meal Equiv to what to get for your dorm.

Best Time to Do Laundry
This is an important topic because laundry can take up to three hours if you let it. Trying to find an available washing machine can become a project if you go during a busy time, which is essentially any time in the afternoon or evening. The best possible time to do laundry is Friday night because the majority of the Towers and Cromwell are emptied from people going out. Laundering is also recommended any day before 10 a.m. if you wake up early enough.

Another key point to make about laundry is that you can spend an awfully long time waiting in the laundry room. The washing machines have timers and for some reason, once the timers hit one minute, it takes about 15 minutes for clothes to finish. This is frustrating since you end up awkwardly standing and waiting in the laundry room. In order to avoid loitering, when setting your phone alarm to remind you to get your laundry, tack on an additional 10-15 minutes to the time listed on the counter. With that being said, never leave your laundry unattended for an extended period of time – not only will it annoy fellow residents, but there is always a risk your belongings could get stolen.

Best Place to Get Meal Equiv On the Go
Meal Equivalency starts at 11:00 a.m. and lasts until 1:30 p.m. everyday. This is the time when you are given $6.50 worth of free points to spend at the library café, the Rat, or the STUD. The C-Store is not a Meal Equiv option. However, Meal Equiv can only be used once a day.

At 11:20 – 12:30 on any given weekday, dining locations are packed. Classes are not scheduled during this time-frame and consequently, packs of people enter the Student Center and Library Café. If you absolutely have to get Meal Equiv at this time – which most students do – the best, quickest location with the most variety of food is the STUD.

The lines at the STUD during Meal Equiv are long, but they move quickly. The STUD has a form of organized chaos that just works. Plus, there are many food options at the STUD, from salads to donuts to chicken fingers.

Best Time to Start Walking Across Campus

The walk from the Towers or Cromwell to Bliss Hall and the Business Building is the longest trek across campus. It takes roughly ten minutes. To ensure that you are in class before your professor, start walking 15 minutes before class, at the latest. This is especially important in the beginning of the semester when you’re just starting college and you want to make a good impression on your professors.

Best Time To Get a Table At the Library Café
The Library Café is a hot spot, whether it is crowded from Meal Equiv or not. Students love to do homework, relax with friends, and eat all in the same place. Due to its popularity, vacant tables can be hard to come by. If you want an assured table for an extended period of time, get to the café before Meal Equiv. There are also spurs throughout the day when there are numerous free tables, but those times vary depending upon the day.

Best Place to Get Good Ice Cream
It is an exciting night when T-Dubs restocks its ice cream freezer. Ben & Jerry’s dominates, but T-Dubs also carries a few Breyers selections as well as Starbucks (yes, they make ice cream and the frozen hot chocolate flavor is delicious). Unfortunately, the assortment dwindles as the week progresses.

So, where do you go? Your best bet for finding a habitually well-stocked freezer worth of Ben & Jerry’s (as well as Haagen Daaz too!) is the C-Store. It may be a bit of a walk, but if you want ice cream badly enough, you will make that journey rain or shine, snowstorm or hurricane. Another plus is that you can also get milk, canned goods, frozen meals, and an assortment of snacks at the C-Store.

Best Place to Sit in the Library
Conference rooms are the best, most popular places to work because you can goof off with friends while simultaneously writing your paper. If you cannot find a vacant conference room, try some tables and couches on the second and third floors. The first floor tends to be loud, especially due to the Library Café. The fourth floor is very quiet.

Best Way to Watch a Movie
If you have a Netflix account, you are golden for your next four years of college. Netflix is like the virtual holy land of movie watching. Between renting and streaming movies and watching TV shows, Netflix has it all. Get an HDMI cable to connect your laptop to your TV and you can show all Netflix selections on the big(ger) screen. This will make your room an instant hangout.

Best Item for Your Dorm
White boards. They are absolutely essential for every college dorm room. They help you remember things and allow for friends to draw funny pictures. Get a board that you can stick on the outside of your door and passersby will surely stop and write something.