Everything We Know About Shawn Mendes’ Upcoming Album, ‘Wonder’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Shawn Mendes fans rejoice! After releasing his self-titled album in 2018, and then a deluxe version featuring new singles such as “Senorita” and “If I Can’t Have You,” Mendes has been relatively quiet about new music. Teasing new music on his social media for a few months excited fans, many of whom were curious about when the next drop was happening. 

On September 30, Mendes posted a cryptic video to his social platforms with a link to the site whatiswonder.com. Site visitors will find themselves in the same messy apartment that the trailer takes place in, with the ability to navigate it in 3D. 

Camila Cabello also shared the album trailer, praising her boyfriend for his fourth LP. “He’s crafted this album with every last bit of his soul, his spirit, and his essence with the purest of intentions. My love, I’m so proud of the person you are and I’m so excited for people to see and hear your heart” she wrote

During the premiere of the lead single “Wonder” and the music video, Mendes took to YouTube livestream to answer questions from fans and share details about his upcoming release. Here’s what we know so far:

1. Potential album cover

After Mendes pointed out the paintings in the corner of the room during the livestream, there has been speculation about whether or not the single cover will double as the album cover. With no confirmations yet, fans have begun to think that this painting of Mendes (which looks suspiciously like an album cover) will be the official artwork.  

1. Track list

On the floor of the Wonder apartment lies a “set list” containing some older songs, plus some that have never been seen. Since the version available to be pre-saved contains 14 songs in total, and this list only has 13, it’s safe to say that Mendes still has some tricks up his sleeve. See the set list below:

Here’s a full list of the tracks, just in case you can’t read his handwriting:

1. The Intro

2. Wonder

3. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You

4. Lost in Japan!

5. Nervous

6. Never Be Alone

7. Look Up at the Stars

8. Lost Ones

9. Why

10. Always Been You

11. Monsters (ft. special guest)

12. Higher

13. Picture of the Moon

1. The album will feature lots of love songs about Camila Cabello

A fact which should come as no surprise to anyone following the two stars’ relationship. Cabello released her second studio album, Romance on December 6, 2019. Songs about her relationship with Mendes were all over the album from denying her feelings for him (“Liar”) to the sweeter moments (“Used to This”). When a fan asked Mendes if Wonder would have some love songs on it, he enthusiastically replied “you’re getting lotssss of love songs for Camila”

While we don’t know TOO much (confirmed) info about Wonder now, it’s clear that Mendes has put a lot of thought into the rollout and hiding Easter eggs for fans to find. You can pre-save Wonder here and get ready to listen to the full album on December 4.

Darby VanDeVeen is a senior at The College of New Jersey. On campus, she is involved in the school's primary programming board, the varsity swim team, She's the First, the school newspaper, and works in the athletic department in addition to writing for Her Campus! She loves going to concerts and hopes to work in the music industry upon graduation. Her favorite artist is Taylor Swift, but she can be found listening to music from all genres. She also enjoys photography, bad reality television and iced tea.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.