Everyday Essentials for Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

You’ve ordered your textbooks, packed that cute mini skirt for parties, and coordinated your bedding with your new roommate. But no matter how much you’ve prepared, there’s always one or two items that you’re bound to forget. Here’s our list of TCNJ essentials that all collegiettes should have for their dorms!

Storage Bins
Dorm rooms are small; really small, and if you are anything like me, you certainly over pack, for every occasion. TCNJ rooms come equipped with the standard furniture, a dresser, closet, a desk, and a bed. With that being said, there is not much drawer space! Storage bins are certainly beneficial. The Sterilite 3 Drawer Wide Cart from Wal-Mart provides a great option of extra draw space. Not only are they affordable, but they also come in several great colors to match your dorm décor! $18.99

First Aid Kit

Late night partying and slip and slides down the hallway may cause some scrapes, bumps, and bruises, so you never know when this will come in handy. The American Red Cross offers some great options, like the Be Ready Cross Ready First Aid Kit. $17.00

Mattress Pad
Part of a getting a great education is getting a great night sleep. The mattresses that come with your dorm are not the most comfortable so investing in a mattress topper, like a Temper-Pedic mattress pad or even a simple egg crate pad will help you get the sleep you need to be successful in your classes! Just don’t get so comfortable that you fall asleep every time you try to study!

Surge Protector

Today’s collegiettes come to school with a huge assortment of electronics that all need to be plugged in and charged. As you may have figured out, dorms do not have many outlets and there is a great chance that your furniture will cover the few that you do have. Buying a surge protector (or two) will not only give your more outlets for all those electronics, but will also protect your electronics from surges (hence the name). Best of all, they’re TCNJ approved! The Tripp Lite 7-Outlet 2160 Joule Surge Protector from Staples is a great choice. $24.99

Hangers
If you are a shopaholic like me, you certainly do not have enough hangers (or closet space for that matter!) Dormco.com offers some great options. They offer a Soft Grip 4 Tier Pants Hangers (set of 3) for $8.18. You can also buy classic hangers, pack of 24 for $9.89! 

Cups, Plates, and Silverware
Chances are, you are going to have food in your room. There are going to be days that you do not want to make the walk from the Towers to Eickoff Dining Hall. There are going to be late night study sessions where you are going to be hungry/thirsty. Cups, Plates, and Silverware will certainly aid you on these days! A good inexpensive option is the Polyproylene Frost White 13-Piece Dinnerware Set from Bed, Bath, and beyond. $14.99 

Also, check out the HerCampus Classy Cups! $10.00 for a set of four!

Dish Soap and Sponge

When asked, many TCNJ students said this was the one thing they tend to forget the most. After eating bowls of popcorn, and chips and salsa from TDubbs, or left over Chinese food, you are going to have lots of dirty dishes. (And nothing is worse than leaving dirty dishes around the room!) You can purchase dish soap and sponges from the TCNJ bookstore, or online at most stores!

Laundry Hampers/Bags
If you do not want your roommate leaving dirty clothes all over your room, set a good example by keeping your side tidy! Invest in a laundry hamper to toss your dirty clothes in. It will also make it really convenient to carry your clothes to the laundry room! Bed Bath and Beyond offers a set of two (one for lights and one for darks, perhaps?) for $14.99!

Fans
Many TCNJ residences halls are not air-conditioned and living in those buildings can get toasty, and fast! Sears offers fans that will circulate air and keep you cool. Check out the Aerospeed 20” box fan for $24.99!

With these essentials for any and every dorm room, you’ll start the year off right and have an awesome room that will surely become the place to hang. Keep an eye out for more college dorm room decoration ideas!

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.